BEcon (Hon 1), GradDipMathsStats
I am a Lecturer in the School of Engineering and Energy at Murdoch University, Perth Australia, where I have taught climate and energy economics related courses since 2005. I teach at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels and am Course Coordinator for Energy Economics, Energy Policy, Greenhouse Accounting and Lifecycle Assessment, and Advanced Energy Policy: Electricity Market Reform. My academic responsibilities also include supervision of postgraduate research theses and dissertations. Concurrent with lecturing between mid 2006 and early 2008, I was employed at the Economic Regulation Authority, initially acting as Senior Projects Officer in the References and Research Division, and then as Manager Projects in the Competition, Markets and Electricity Division. My current academic research is focused on electricity markets, renewable energy and on the estimation of carbon price-induced inflation using national accounts data. I have qualifications in economics, sustainable development, mathematics and statistics.
- Energy Economics.
- Energy Policy.
- Greenhouse Accounting and Lifecycle Assessment.
- Advanced Energy Policy: Electricity Market Reform.
- Economics of Global Climate Change.
- Economics for Sustainability.
- Introduction to Energy Studies.
- Energy Economics.
- Energy Econometrics
- Energy Policy.
- Electricity Markets.
- Regulation of Natural Monopoly Infrastructure.
- Renewable Energy.
- Greenhouse Accounting.
- Lifecycle Assessment.
- Input-Output and General Equilibrium models.
- Carbon Pricing.
- Estimation of the carbon price-induced inflation on products using national accounts data.
- The economics of large-scale solar generation in Western Australia.
- 2005 Western Australia Department of Industry and Resources International Development Business Scholarship.
- 2005 Department of Treasury and Finance Honours Prize.
- 2005 Short-listed The General Sir John Monash Awards.
- 2004 Murdoch University Medallist Nominee.
- 2004 Murdoch University Vice Chancellors Commendation for Academic Excellence.
- 2004 Murdoch University Division of Arts Executive Dean’s Prize.
- 2004 Chamber of Commerce and Industry Prize in Economics.
- 2003 Murdoch University Vice Chancellors Commendation for Academic Excellence.
- 2003 Shell Prize in Economics (Part II).
- 2003 Departmental Prize in Microeconomics A.
- 2002 Murdoch University Vice Chancellors Commendation for Academic Excellence.
- 2002 Shell Prize in Economics (Part I).
- 2002 Institute for Sustainability and Technology Policy Prize.
Recent speaking engagements:
- National Tertiary Education Union, Climate Change Forum, Perth, 2012.
- Fourth International Conference on Climate Change, Seattle, 2012.
- International Association for Energy Economics, International Conference, Perth, 2012.
- Industry collaboration, First Solar, 2012.
- Industry collaboration Sun Grid Pty Ltd. 2010-2012.
- Treasurer, Murdoch Organisation for Renewable Energy, 2007-2008
- Reviewer, MODSIM07, Modelling and Simulation Conference, 2007
Numerous. (To be updated shortly).
- McHugh, A., (2006), Oil and Substitution: Reviewing the Possibility of Failure in the Technology Market, In: 14th Australian Association for Environmental Education (AAEE) Biennial Conference (2006).
- McHugh, A., (2012), Evaluating Carbon Price Induce Inflation Using the National Accounts, Concurrent Session, Proceedings of the 35th Annual International Association of Energy Economics International Conference, Perth.
- McHugh, A., (2012), Deregulation is Crucial for Lowering Australia’s Electricity Costs, https://theconversation.edu.au/deregulation-is-crucial-for-lowering-australias-electricity-costs-10625
- McHugh, A., (2012), The Sorry State of WA’s Electricity Market Reform, https://theconversation.edu.au/the-sorry-state-of-was-electricity-market-reform-10340
- McHugh, A., (2011), Greenhouse Gas Emission Pricing, Tax Cuts and Economic Growth in Australia. http://www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org.
- McHugh, A., (2008), Portfolio Short Run Marginal Cost of Electricity Supply in Half Hour Trading Intervals, Economic Regulation Authority, Western Australia.
- McHugh, A., (2008), Short Run Marginal Cost, Economic Regulation Authority, Western Australia.
- McHugh, A., (2006), International Development Business and Western Australian Economic Impact, A Work Commissioned by the Department of Industry and Resources of Western Australia
- McHugh, A., (2005), Closed System Economics: The Thermodynamics of Technical Substitution, Honours Thesis for the Degree Economics Joint Honours, Murdoch University
- McHugh, A., (2005), ‘Energy Policy Needs Oil Change’, Australian Financial Review, 26 September, p. 25
- McHugh, A., (2005), ‘Measure Our Welfare’, Australian Financial Review, 15 August, p 22
- Leeson, R. Chorley, R. McHugh, A. Saicic, S. & Thomas, D., (2005), ‘Extra CGT Would Deflate Housing Bubble’, Australian Financial Review, 6 July, p 63
- McHugh, A., (2004), Analysis over Issues: Reworking the ISTP’s Undergraduate Degree within a Balanced Transdisciplinary Framework, Institute for Sustainability and Technology Policy Discussion Paper, Murdoch University
- McHugh, A., (2002), ‘Bridge Town Waste Water Scheme”, in Western Australian State Sustainability Case Studies (CD-Rom), ed. Newman, P., WA Department of Premier and Cabinet