Associate Professor Carol Warren
MA (ANU) Sociology; PhD (UWA) Anthropology
Associate Professor - Asian Studies
Carol Warren is a sociologist and anthropologist whose teaching and research focus on social, economic and environmental change in Southeast Asia.
Carol teaches units on the history of ideas in anthropology (AST212/612 ‘Anthropology and Its Others) and on the social and cultural ecology of the Asian region (AST250/650 ‘Society, Culture and Ecology in Asia’).
Carol has written widely on political ecology and community development issues. Her publications include: Adat and Dinas: Balinese Communities in the Indonesian State (Oxford University Press 1993); The Politics of Environment in Southeast Asia (Routledge 1998, co-edited with Phil Hirsch); and Community, Environment and Local Governance in Indonesia: Locating the Commonweal (Routledge 2009, co-edited with John McCarthy). A study of land conflict and law in Indonesia, co-edited with Anton Lucas, is in press (Land for the People: The State and Agrarian Conflict in Indonesia, Ohio University Press 2013). Her research interests concern the environment, land tenure, rural development and cultural heritage policy in Southeast Asia.
She currently holds an Australian Research Council Discovery Grant in collaboration with scholars at other institutions for a research project entitled: ‘Social Capital, Natural Resources and Local Governance in Indonesia’.
2008-2011 Australia Research Council Discovery Grant (DP0880961) C. Warren, J. McCarthy, G. Acciaioli, A. Lucas & J. Schiller. Social Capital, Natural Resources and Local Governance in Indonesia. $497,599
2002-2005 Australia Research Council Discovery Grant (DP0211816) C.Warren, A. Lucas, J. McCarthy , G. Acciaioli, J. Schiller. Locating the Commonweal: Community Environment and Local Governance in Reform Era Indonesia. $369,000
1998-2001 Australia Research Council Large Grant (A79803769)
(C. Warren and A. Lucas) Land Tenure and the Law in Indonesia: Implications for Livelihood, Community and Environment. $185,000
1995-7 Australia Research Council Large Grant – A. Vickers, C. Warren & K. Sen Industries and Change in Bali $210,000
PhD Dirk Steenbergen – ‘ Social Capital and Local Governance in Marine Protected Areas in Eastern Indonesia’ (ARC project) (Co-supervision with Sue Moore, Environmental Sciences; Associate supervisor, Leontine Visser, Wageningen University, the Netherlands)
PhD Vivi Rambé – ‘Mainstreaming Natural Resources Management within Community Driven Development Programs in Sulawesi’, ARC project (Associate supervisor – Greg Acciaioli UWA)
PhD Jodie Goodman – ‘Participation in local governance and Natural Resource Management in Indonesia’ ARC Project. (Associate supervisor – Greg Aciaiolli UWA)
PhD Vanessa Jaiteh – ‘Shark fisheries and Community Marine Management in Indonesia’ (Co-supervision with Neil Loneragan, Marine Biology).
PhD Christine Parfitt – ‘Environmental Education and Sea Turtle Conservation in Indonesia’ (Co-Supervision with Catherine Baudains, Environmental Sciences).
MRT Paul Van Nimwegen – ‘Marine Protected Areas in Indonesia’ (Co-Supervised with Neil Loneragan, Marine Biology)
PhD Vitti Valenzuela – ‘The Kaatabay Social Housing Program of Naga City (Philippines)’, (Co-Supervised with Jane Hutchison, Politics)
PhD Yanti Mochtar – ‘Political Islam in Eastern Indonesia’ (Co-supervision with Vedi Hadiz, Asia Research Centre).
PhD Delys Craig – ‘Decentralisation and Local Government in Cirebon, Indonesia’
PhD Jim Williamson – Forest Inventory and Community Values in the Southwest Forests of WA. (Co-supervisor: Sue Moore, Environmental Science)
PhD Stephanie Chok – Coastal Management and Eco-Tourism in in post-tsunami community (Co-supervisor :Jim MacBeth, Tourism)
- Warren, C., (2013),Legal Certainty for Whom?,In: Land for the People, Ohio University Press, pages 243 - 273.
- Bachriadi, D., Lucas, A., Warren, C., (2013),The Agrarian Movement, Civil Society, and Emerging Political Constellations,In: Land for the People, Ohio University Press, pages 309 - 371.
- Lucas, A., Warren, C., (2013),The Land, The Law, and the People,In: Land for the People, Ohio University Press, pages 1 - 39.
- Warren, C., Lucas, A., (2013),Indonesia's Land Titling Program (LAP) - The Market Solution?,In: Land for the People, Ohio University Press, pages 93 - 113.
- Warren, C., Lucas, A., (2013),Agrarian Resources and Conflict in the Twenty-First Century,In: Land for the People, Ohio University Press, pages 372 - 389.
- Warren, C., (2011),Tanah Lot: The Cultural and Environmental Politics of Resort Development in Bali,In: Pemberdayaan dan Hiperdemokrasi dalam Pembangunan Pariwisata, Pustaka Larasan, pages 161 - 202.
- Warren, C., McCarthy, J., (2008),Locating The Commonweal,In: Community, Environment and Local Governance in Indonesia: Locating the Commonweal, Routledge, pages 227 - 253.
- Warren, C., (2008),Off The Market? Elusive Links In Community-Based Sustainable Development Initiatives In Bali,In: Community, Environment and Local Governance in Indonesia: Locating the Commonweal, Routledge, pages 197 - 226.
- Warren, C., McCarthy, J., (2008),Communities, Environments And Local Governance In Reform Era Indonesia,In: Community, Environment and Local Governance in Indonesia: Locating the Commonweal, Routledge, pages 1 - 26.
- Warren, C., (2008),"Kapital Sosial di Bali - Sinergi dan Tantangan",In: Kebudayaan dan Modal Budaya Bali Dalam Teropong Lokal, nasional, Global, Widya Dharma, pages 63 - 75.
- Warren, C., (2007),Made Lebah: Reminiscences from "Jaman Setengah Bali" (Half-Bali Times),In: Southeast Asian Lives, NUS Press, pages 41 - 87.
- Warren, C., (2007),Adat in Balinese discourse and practice: locating citizenship and the commonwealth,In: The Revival of Tradition in Indonesian Politics, Routledge, pages 170 - 202.
- Warren, C., (2002),Reviving customary tenure - Participatory mapping, adat communities, and their meditors in the 'Reform Era',In: Berebut Tanah, Insist Press, pages 239 - 270.
- Warren, C., McCarthy, J., (2002),Customary regimes and collective goods in Indonesia's changing political constellation,In: Collective Goods, Collective Futures in Asia, Routledge, pages 75 - 101.
- Warren, C., (2000),Adat and the Discourses of Modernity in Bali,In: To Change Bali: Essays in Honour of I Gusti Ngurah Bagus, Bali Post, pages 1 - 14.
- Lucas, A., Warren, C., (2000),Agrarian Reform in the Era of Reformasi,In: Indonesia in Transition: Social Aspects of Reformasi and Crisis, Zed Books, pages 220 - 238.
- Hirsch, P., Warren, C., (1998),Introduction: Through the Environmental Looking Glass,In: The Politics of Environment in Southeast Asia: Resources and Resistance, Routledge, pages 1 - 25.
- Warren, C., (1998),Symbols and Displacement: The Emergence of Environmental Activism on Bali,In: Environmental Movements in Asia, Curzon Press, pages 179 - 204.
- Williamson, J., Rodger, K., Moore, S., Warren, C., (2012), An exploratory study of community expectations regarding public forests in Western Australia, Australian Forestry, 75, 2, pages 100 - 106.
- Warren, C., (2012), Risk and the sacred: Environment, media and public opinion in Bali, Oceania, 82, 3, pages 294 - 307.
- Chok, S., Macbeth, J., Warren, C., (2007), Tourism as a tool for poverty alleviation: A critical analysis of 'pro-poor tourism' and implications for sustainability, Current Issues in Tourism, 10, 2-3, pages 144 - 165.
- Warren, C., (2005), Community mapping, local planning and alternative land use strategies in Bali, Geografisk Tidsskrift. Danish Journal of Geography, 105(1), , pages 29 - 41.
- Warren, C., (2005), Mapping Common Futures: Customary Communities, NGOs and the State in Indonesia's Reform Era, Development and Change, 36, 1, pages 49 - 73.
- Lucas, A., Warren, C., (2003), The State, the People, and their Mediators: the Struggle over Agrarian Law Reform in Post-New Order Indonesia, Indonesia, 76, , pages 87 - 126.
- Warren, C., (1998), Mediating Modernity in Bali, International Journal of Cultural Studies, 1, 1, April 1998, pages 83 - 108.
- Williamson, J., Moore, S., Warren, C., (2005),1919 to 1935: A pivotal period for the forests of the south west of Western Australia,In: 6th National Conference of the Australian Forest History Society (AFHS) (2004).
• 1993 C. Warren, Adat and Dinas: Balinese Communities in the Indonesian State. Kuala Lumpur: Oxford University Press,
• 1998 P. Hirsch and C. Warren, eds., The Politics of Environment in Southeast Asia: Resources and Resistance. London: Routledge.
• 2009 C. Warren and J. McCarthy, eds., Community, Environment and Local Governance in Indonesia: Locating the Commonweal. London: Routledge.
• 2013 A. Lucas and C. Warren, eds., Land For The People: State Policy And Agrarian Conflict In Indonesia. Athens, Ohio: Ohio University Press (In Press).