Dr Chun-Yang Yin
B.Eng. (Chemical) (Hons), M.Eng.Sc., Ph.D., AMIChemE, MIEAust
Adjunct Senior Lecturer
My research and lecturing experiences span more than ten years since 2002 in which I have held various academic positions at six different universities in the United Kingdom, Australia and Malaysia. I am an Associate Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers, United Kingdom (AMIChemE) and Member of EngineersAustralia (MIEAust). I have close research linkages with active researchers from the United States, United Kingdom, Australia, France, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and Indonesia and currently affiliated with Teesside University in the United Kingdom as a Senior Lecturer in Chemical Engineering (http://www.tees.ac.uk/schools/sse/staff_profile_details.cfm?staffprofileid=U0029078). A list of my research publications can be found in the following GoogleScholar website: (http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=AyvBQgkAAAAJ&hl=en)
EXM131 Introduction to Extractive Metallurgy
EXM224/524 Principles of Unit Operations
EXM301 Minerals Processing
PEC340 Instrumental Analysis
EXM459 Financial Management, Mineral Resources and Environment (unit coordinator: http://print.handbook.murdoch.edu.au/units/detail.php?unit=EXM459)
EXM435 Metallurgical Process and Plan
I am currently involved as a contributing Murdoch University academic (with Dr Aleks Nikoloski) in a capstone metallurgical design course for final year metallurgical students under the banner of the Metallurgical Education Partnership (MEP). The MEP was formed by the Minerals Tertiary Education Council (MTEC) and its partner universities (http://www.minerals.org.au/focus/mtec). A MEP workshop is an annual introductory workshop for students enrolled in the final year Metallurgical Plant and Design unit. For more info, please click on the following weblink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15gCgMaDFCg
Teaching experience: More than ten years since 2003 – five universities in Malaysia and Australia (including Monash University – Malaysian campus and Murdoch University). I had taught the following university units since the beginning of my academic career:
Sustainable Processing (incorporating life cycle assessment)
Research interests: Microfluidics; Mineral Processing; Nanotechnology; Ionic Liquids; Thin Films; Porous materials including activated carbon; Environmental engineering
Research experience: More than ten years since 2002 – five universities in Malaysia, United States and Australia.
Research collaborators: I am currently collaborating with engineering/applied sciences academics from the United States, Australia, China, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia etc.
Theme 1: Adsorption of Metal Ions onto Activated Carbon Surface: Electron Microscopy Analyses and Computational Studies
Though the use of activated carbon (AC) as an industrial wastewater “polisher” to remove pollutants as well as gold extractant in the carbon-in-pulp process are ubiquitous, the exact adsorption mechanisms in terms of metal ions affinity to the AC surface are still poorly understood. Computational and electron microscopy studies could potentially shed light on such fundamental aspects.
Theme 2: Microfluidic Solvent Extraction of Metal Ions from Mineral-Based Leach Solutions
Microfluidics for solvent extraction (μSX) of metal ions from mineral based leach solution is a new metallurgical technique in the field of recovering precious (high-value) metals present in low concentrations which are otherwise not technically amenable (or economically viable) to extraction using conventional 2-stage mixer-settler.
Theme 3: Selective Mixed Metal Oxides Coatings for Solar Thermal Collection
Using an integrative approach combining experimental, modelling and optimisation studies, this project establishes the fundamental links between the doped carbon-based elements and solar absorbancy of metal oxides coatings. The metal oxidation states and their local coordination on the surface and interface of thin film coatings will be discussed and elucidated based on X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS), in combination with the synchrotron-based near edge X-ray absorption fine structure (NEXAFS) spectroscopy.
Theme 4: Life Cycle Assessment and Industrial Ecology as Applied for Localised Chemical Industries
Life Cycle Assessment is a technique that provides quantitative assessment of the environmental impact of processes over their specified life cycles. Teesside’s wide-ranging chemical industries form an interesting and vital platform in which such technique could be used to aid improved plant designs in relation to environmental sustainability.
International Fellowship and Post Doctoral (IFPD) programme– Brain Gain Malaysia (Awarded by Academy of Sciences, Malaysia to pursue visiting research attachment at a Ivy-League University: Columbia University, New York – AUD13,000), December 2008 – March 2009. (http://www.akademisains.gov.my/download/AnnualReports/Annual_Report_2008.pdf)
Selected Grants (as Chief Investigator and/or Country Chief Investigator)
Distinguished Collaborator Program (Funding organisation: Murdoch University). CI: Yin. Funding amount: AUD$30,000 (2012 – 2014). Travelling and research fund collaboration on nanoporous materials with Assoc. Prof. Xi Chen from Columbia University, New York (Ivy League). http://our.murdoch.edu.au/Staff/APDCS-outcomes-announcements/
Australian Research Council LIEF grant (LE130100030) – Returning Western Australian characterisation capabilities to the cutting edge: high resolution analytical transmission electron microscopy. $980,000. (As Murdoch Chief Investigator)
Australian Research Council LIEF grant (LE130100011) - A world class, high-resolution scanning electron microscopy facility for West Australian researchers. $470,000.00. (As Murdoch Chief Investigator)
Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (Funding organisation: Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia). CI: Yin. PI: Savory. Funding amount: AUD$12,000 (2010-2011). Research theme: colloids. Completed.
E-Science Grant Scheme (Funding organisation: Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation, Malaysia). CI: Yin. PI: Savory. Funding amount: AUD$42,000 (2008-2010). Research theme: covalent organic framework. Completed.
Impregnation of Palm Shell Activated Carbon Using Polyethyleneimine for Enhanced Removal of Heavy Metals from Aqueous Solutions. CI: Yin. PI: Aroua, Wan Daud. Funding amount: AUD$8,000 (2007-2008). This grant has resulted in 6 A/A* 2007/2008 publications.Completed.
Selected Grants (as Co-Investigator/Partner Investigator)
Deanship of Scientific Research at King Saud University Research Group Funding. CI: El-Harbawi. PI: Yin. Funding amount: ~AUD$37,000
Development of Ecotoxicity Relationships to Enhance Ionic Liquids Commercialization Using Green Chemistry Approach (Funding organisation: Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS, Malaysia). CI: El-Harbawi. PI: Yin, Banu, Babaa. Funding amount: ~AUD$60,000 (2011 – 2013). Involved as Partner Investigator. This grant has resulted in 4 A/A* 2011/2012 publications. Completed.
Bioremediation of Sludge from Oil and Gas Industry. (Funding organisation: ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Malaysia Inc.). CI: Abdul Talib. PI: Yin, Ramasamy. ~AUD$10,000 Completed.
The 25th Conference of the ASEAN Confederation of Engineering Organizations, Cebu, Philippines, 27 – 29 November 2007.
1st July 2010. Department of Civil Engineering. Universiti Tenaga Nasional. Title: Journal citations in engineering
10th March 2009. Department of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Columbia University, New York, United States of America. Title: Usage of rice husk and oil palm ashes for solidification/stabilization of contaminated soil and industrial sludge
Reviewer for the following journals:
Journal of Cleaner Production (Elsevier); Desalination (Elsevier); Materials & Design (Elsevier); Chemical Engineering Communications (Taylor & Francis); Water Research (Elsevier); Energy & Fuels (American Chemical Society); Journal of Chemical Technology & Biotechnology (John Wiley & Sons); Journal of Hazardous Materials (Elsevier); Chemical Engineering Journal (Elsevier); Journal of Environmental Management (Elsevier); Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data (American Chemical Society); Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC); Bioremediation Journal (Taylor & Francis); Fuel (Elsevier); Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research (American Chemical Society); International Journal of Chemical Kinetics (John Wiley & Sons), Chemical Engineering & Technology (John Wiley & Sons); Scientometrics (Springer); Carbon (Elsevier)
External interviewer (invited) for chemical engineering – lecturer interview sessions at Monash University (Malaysian campus).
Scientific commitee member (invited) – International Conference on Chemical and Materials Engineering (ICCME 2012), Semarang, Indonesia http://econf.undip.ac.id/index.php/iccme/2012/about/organizingTeam
Ph.D. thesis external examiner - (1) University of South Australia; (2) University of Malaya (Top 200 university; 2011 THES – QS World University Rankings);
2013/2014 National Board for the Australian Carbon Society (invited) http://www.raci.org.au/divisions/carbon-division
2012/2013 EngineersAustralia WA Joint Chemical Engineering Committee (WA JCEC) member
2013/2014 Australian Research Council grant assessor
2013/2014 Murdoch University School Research Committee member (representing Chemistry and Analytical Sciences, VLS)
- Amri, A., Jiang, Z., Pryor, T., Yin, C., Djordjevic, S., (2014), Developments in the synthesis of flat plate solar selective absorber materials via sol-gel methods: A review, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 36, , pages 316 - 328.
- Lim, Y., Tan, Y., Lim, H., Huang, N., Tan, W., Yarmo, M., Yin, C., (2014), Potentiostatically deposited polypyrrole/graphene decorated nano-manganese oxide ternary film for supercapacitors, Ceramics International, 40, 3, pages 3855 - 3864.
- Haris, M., Yin, C., Jiang, Z., Goh, B., Chen, X., Al-Masry, W., Abukhalaf, A., El-Harbawi, M., Huang, N., (2014), Crystallinity and morphological evolution of hydrothermally synthesized potassium manganese oxide nanowires, Ceramics International, 40, 1 - PART A, pages 1241 - 1250.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Ralph, D., Singh, P., Yin, C., (2014), New Insights into the Electrochemical Behavior of Hematite (a-Fe2O3) Microparticles in Strong Aqueous Basic Electrolyte: Formation of Metallic Iron, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A - Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 45A, , pages 2023 - 2029.
- Amri, A., Jiang, Z., Zhao, X., Xie, Z., Yin, C., Ali, N., Mondinos, N., Rahman, M., Habibi, D., (2014), Tailoring the physicochemical and mechanical properties of optical copper-cobalt oxide thin films through annealing treatment, Surface and Coatings Technology, 239, 5, pages 212 - 221.
- Syed Abdul Kadir, S., Yin, C., Sulaiman, M., Chen, X., El-Harbawi, M., (2013), Incineration of municipal solid waste in Malaysia: Salient issues, policies and waste-to-energy initiatives, Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, 24, , pages 181 - 186.
- Golsheikh, A., Huang, N., Lim, H., Zakaria, R., Yin, C., (2013), One-step electrodeposition synthesis of silver-nanoparticle-decorated graphene on indium-tin-oxide for enzymeless hydrogen peroxide detection, Carbon, 62, , pages 405 - 412.
- Amri, A., Duan, X., Yin, C., Jiang, Z., Rahman, M., Pryor, T., (2013), Solar absorptance of copper-cobalt oxide thin film coatings with nano-size, grain-like morphology: Optimization and synchrotron radiation XPS studies, Applied Surface Science, 275, , pages 127 - 135.
- Jennings, P., Jiang, Z., Wyatt, N., Parlevliet, D., Creagh, C., Yin, C., Widjaja, H., Mondinos, N., (2013), Characterization of silicon nanowires grown on silicon,stainless steel and indium tin oxide substrates, Applied Physics A: materials science & processing, 113, , pages 723 - 728.
- Hossain, M., El-Harbawi, M., Alitheen, N., Noaman, Y., Leveque, J., Yin, C., (2013), Synthesis and anti-microbial potencies of 1-(2-hydroxyethyl)-3-alkylimidazolium chloride ionic liquids: Microbial viabilities at different ionic liquids concentrations, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, 87, , pages 65 - 69.
- Amri, A., Jiang, Z., Arabzadeh Bahri, P., Yin, C., Zhao, X., Xie, Z., Duan, X., Widjaja, H., Rahman, M., Pryor, T., (2013), Surface Electronic Structure and Mechanical Characteristics of Copper-Cobalt Oxide Thin Film Coatings: Soft X-Ray Synchrotron Radiation Spectroscopic Analyses and Modeling, The Journal of Physical Chemistry Part C: Nanomaterials, Interfaces and Hard Matter, 117, , pages 16457 - 16467.
- Rahman, M., Duan, X., Jiang, Z., Xie, Z., Wu, A., Amri, A., Cowie, B., Yin, C., (2013), Near-edge X-ray absorption fine structure studies of Cr1-xM xN coatings, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 578, November 2013, pages 362 - 368.
- Yin, C., Nikoloski, A., Wang, M., (2013), Microfluidic solvent extraction of platinum and palladium from a chloride leach solution using Alamine 336, Minerals Engineering, 45, , pages 18 - 21.
- Muhammad, N., Hossain, M., Man, Z., El-Harbawi, M., Bustam, M., Noaman, Y., Alitheen, N., Ng, M., Hefter, G., Yin, C., (2012), Synthesis and physical properties of choline carboxylate ionic liquids, Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 57, 8, pages 2191 - 2196.
- Amri, A., Jiang, Z., Pryor, T., Yin, C., Xie, Z., Mondinos, N., (2012), Optical and mechanical characterization of novel cobalt-based metal oxide thin films synthesized using sol-gel dip-coating method, Surface and Coatings Technology, 207, , pages 367 - 374.
- El-Harbawi, M., Yin, C., (2012), Development of educational software for designing shell-and-tube heat exchangers, Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, 39, 4, pages 291 - 296.
- Ali, N., El-Harbawi, M., Abo Jabal, A., Yin, C., (2012), Characteristics and oil sorption effectiveness of kapok fibre, sugarcane bagasse and rice husks: oil removal suitability matrix, Environmental Technology, 33, 4, pages 481 - 486.
- Sukor, Z., Yin, C., Savory, R., Abdul-Talib, S., (2012), Biodegradation kinetics of naphthalene in soil medium using pleurotus ostreatus in batch mode with addition of fibrous biomass as a nutrient, Bioremediation Journal, 16, 3, pages 177 - 184.
- Yin, C., Jiang, Z., (2012), Thermogravimetric and kinetic analyses of degradation of groundnut (Arachis hypogaea) shell in air and nitrogen, Energy Institute. Journal, 85, 1, pages 57 - 60.
- El-Harbawi, M., Shaaran, S., Ahmad, F., Abd Wahi, M., Abdul, A., Laird, D., Yin, C., (2012), Estimating the flammability of vapours above refinery wastewater laden with hydrocarbon mixtures, Fire Safety Journal, 51, , pages 61 - 67.
- Hossain, M., El-Harbawi, M., Noaman, Y., Bustam, M., Alitheen, N., Affandi, N., Hefter, G., Yin, C., (2011), Synthesis and anti-microbial activity of hydroxylammonium ionic liquids, Chemosphere, 84, 1, pages 101 - 104.
- Hossain, M., Babaa, M., El-Harbawi, M., Man, Z., Yin, C., Hefter, G., (2011), Synthesis, characterization, physical properties, and cytotoxicities of 1-(6-hydroxyhexyl)-3-alkylimidazolium chloride ionic liquids, Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 56, 11, pages 4188 - 4193.
- Yin, C., (2011), Prediction of higher heating values of biomass from proximate and ultimate analyses, Fuel, 90, 3, pages 1128 - 1132.
- Yin, C., Goh, B., (2011), Thermal degradation of rice husks in air and nitrogen: Thermogravimetric and kinetic analyses, Energy Sources. Part A. Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects, 34, 3, pages 246 - 252.
- Tay, C., Liew, H., Yin, C., Abdul-Talib, S., Surif, S., Suhaimi, A., Yong, S., (2011), Biosorption of cadmium ions using Pleurotus ostreatus: Growth kinetics, isotherm study and biosorption mechanism, Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 28, 3, pages 825 - 830.
- Hossain, M., Samir, B., El-Harbawi, M., Masri, A., Abdul Mutalib, M., Hefter, G., Yin, C., (2011), Development of a novel mathematical model using a group contribution method for prediction of ionic liquid toxicities, Chemosphere, 85, 6, pages 990 - 994.
- Yin, C., Minakshi Sundaram, M., Ralph, D., Jiang, Z., Xie, Z., Guo, H., (2011), Hydrothermal synthesis of cubic -Fe2O3 microparticles using glycine: Surface characterization, reaction mechanism and electrochemical activity, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 509, 41, pages 9821 - 9825.
- Musa, M., Yin, C., Savory, R., (2011), Analysis of the textural characteristics and pore size distribution of a commercial zeolite using various adsorption models, Journal of Applied Sciences, 11, 21, pages 3650 - 3654.
- Yin, C., (2011), Do impact factor, h-index and EigenfactorTM of chemical engineering journals correlate well with each other and indicate the journals' influence and prestige?, Current Science: a fortnightly journal of research, 100, 5, pages 648 - 653.
- Yin, C., Syed Abdul Kadir, S., Lim, Y., Syed-Ariffin, S., Zamzuri, Z., (2008), An investigation into physicochemical characteristics of ash produced from combustion of oil palm biomass waste in a boiler, Fuel Processing Technology, 89, , pages 693 - 696.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2008), Enhanced Adsorption of Metal Ions Onto Polyethyleneimine-Impregnated Palm ShellActivated Carbon: Equilibrium Studies, Water, Air and Soil Pollution: an international journal of environmental pollution, 192, , pages 337 - 348.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2008), Polyethyleneimine impregnation on activated carbon: Effects of impregnation amount and molecular number on textural characteristics and metal adsorption capacities, Materials Chemistry and Physics, 112, , pages 417 - 422.
- Wan Daud, W., Yin, C., Adinata, D., (2008), Adsorption capacities of carbon dioxide, oxygen, nitrogen and methane on carbon molecular basket derived from polyethyleneimine impregnation onmicroporous palm shell activated carbon, Separation and Purification Technology, 62, , pages 609 - 613.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2008), Real-time determination of kinetics of adsorption of lead(II) onto palm shell-based activated carbon using ion selective electrode, Bioresource Technology, 99, , pages 5786 - 5792.
- Yin, C., Wan Ali, W., Lim, Y., (2008), Oil palm ash as partial replacement of cement for solidification/stabilization of nickel hydroxide sludge, Journal of Hazardous Materials, 150, , pages 413 - 418.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2007), Modification of granular activated carbon using lowmolecular weight polymer for enhanced removal ofCu2+ from aqueous solution, Water Science and Technology, 56, , pages 95 - 101.
- Yin, C., Syed Abdul Kadir, S., Abdul-Malik, A., Syed-Ariffin, S., Mahazer, S., Zamzuri, Z., (2007), Characterization of Ash Derived from Combustion ofPaper Mill Waste Sludge: Comparison with MunicipalSolid Waste Incinerator Ash, ScienceAsia, 33, , pages 473 - 477.
- Yin, C., Shaaban, M., Mahmud, H., (2007), Chemical stabilization of scrap metal yard contaminated soil using ordinary portland cement: Strength and leachability aspects, Building And Environment, 42, , pages 794 - 802.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2007), Impregnation of palm shell activated carbon with polyethyleneimine and its effects on Cd2+ adsorption, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 307, , pages 128 - 136.
- Yin, C., Wan Daud, W., (2007), Review of modifications of activated carbon for enhancing contaminant uptakes from aqueous solutions, Separation and Purification Technology, 52, , pages 403 - 415.
- Yin, C., Mahmud, H., Shaaban, M., (2006), Stabilization/solidification of lead-contaminatedsoil using cement and rice husk ash, Journal of Hazardous Materials, B137, , pages 1758 - 1764.
- Yin, C., Nikoloski, A., Wang, M., (2012),Microfluidic Solvent Extraction of Copper from Malachite-Chalcopyrite Mineral Leach Solution,In: Chemeca 2012.
Full publication list: http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/view/author/Yin,_Chun-Yang.html