Dr Danielle Meyrick
BSc (Hons), PhD (Chemistry)
Adjunct Senior Lecturer - School of Engineering and Information Technology
I am an adjunct senior lecturer in Chemistry , and ex-Deputy Dean of the School of Chemical and Mathematical Sciences.
I have a number of research interests, many of them involving radiochemistry and radiometals. I have experience in the development of radiopharmaceuticals for cancer diagnosis and therapy, and in particular the fundamental chemistry underlying the development and efficacy of these agents. I am also interested in thermodynamics and solution chemistry of metals in hydrometallurgical, mineral processing and environmental contexts, as well as the measurement of physicochemical properties of hydrometallurgucal process and other solutions. I have worked in collaboration with industry in modelling chemical speciation and examining mineral solubility, wih particular emphasis on uranium and rare earths processing, and in polymer chemistry for solid-liquid separation and tailings management. I have worked alongside the alumina industry in developing chemistries for process improvements.
A recent research focus is the development of novel materials for renewable energy storage in aqueous batteries, and development of supercapacitor technology. This work is conducted in collaboration with Dr. Manickam Minakshi at Murdoch University, as well as a number of collaborators at Bharathiar University, the CSIR Institute of Minerals and Materials Technology and the Central Electrochemical Research Institute in India.
I have been an active participant of the Parker CRC for Hydrometallurgy, and am currently involved in projects supported by AMIRA International.
My current teaching (2012) is in the areas of Earth Sciences and Mineral Processing. I also teach across a wide range of Chemistry units, from first year through to third year, from general chemistry, through to Medicinal Chemistry and Physical and Inorganic Chemistry.
For 2012, my teaching is in the units below.
Development of radiopharmaceuticals (incorporating radiometals) for cancer therapy and diagnosis.
Development of new materials for battery and supercapacitor (energy storage) technology.
Measurement of physicochemical properties of hydrometallurgical and other solutions.
Elucidation of solution chemistry of metal ions (particularly under ‘extreme’ conditions), and understanding of this chemistry in hydrometallurgical and other contexts.
Radiochemistry and its applications.
2012-2015: Critical Evaluation of Thermodynamic Data of Sulfate Complexes in Solution (IUPAC Project #2012-008-500)
Participants: Hefter, G.T., Guminsky, C. and Meyrick, D.P.
2011: Toro Energy Australia Ltd. for Uranium Mobility in Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project
Participants: Meyrick, D.P. and May, P.M.M.
2011: Arafura Resources for Solubility of Rare Earth Phosphates and Sulfates
Participant: Meyrick, D.P.
2011: Australian Institute for Nuclear Science and Engineering for Synthesis, Characterisation and Solubility of Some Uranyl Vanadate and Uranyl Minerals
Participants: Meyrick, D.P. and Koenigsberger, E.
2011: Parker Centre CRC for Integrated Hydrometallurgy Solutions for Physicochemical Fundamentals of Uranium Leaching and Mobility
Participants: Meyrick, D.P., Koenigsberger, E., Jones, F. and Ogden, M
2011: Murdoch University Discoverers Grant for Development of a Ra-224 Generator: a New Source of Alpha Emitter for Nuclear Medicine
Participants: Meyrick, D.P. and Boucek, J.
2011: Australian Learning and Teaching Council for Chemistry Discipline Network
Participants: Schultz, M., Bedgood, D., Buntine, M., Harper, J., Lawrie, G., Lim. K., Meyrick, D.P., O’Brien, G., Pyke, S., Rifkin, W., Schmid, S., Southam, D., Wille, U. and Yates, B.
2010: Toro Energy Australia Ltd. for Chemical reactions in Alkaline Solutions of Relevance to Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project
Participants: Meyrick, D.P. and May, P.M.M.
2009: Australian Research Council (Linkage, Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities Fund) for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Microimaging and Relaxometry Facility
Participants: St Pierre, T.G., Martins, R.N., Smith, S.M. et al.
2009: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering for Radiochemical and Radiobiological Assessment of a Tc-99m/Re-188-labelled Bombesin Analogue for Diagosis and Therapy of Prostate Cancer
Particpant: Meyrick, D.P.
2007-2008: Australina and New Zealand Society of Nuclear Medicine for Reducing Renal Radiation Burden during Radiopeptide Therapy Using Metal Chelating Agents
Participants: Lenzo, N., Moorin, R. and Meyrick, D.P.
2006: CSIRO for Chemical Speciation in Concetrated Acidic Solutions of High Silica Bauxite Ores
Participants: Koenigsberger, E., Koenigsberger, L-C., Meyrick, D.P., et al.
2006: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering for Labelling DOTA-Conjugated Peptides with Cu-64 and Cu-67 for Diagnosis and Therapy
Participant: Meyrick, D.P.
2002-2004: Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering for Elucidation of the Biophysical Behaviour of EDTMP and Related Phosphonate
Participant: Meyrick, D.P.
2010 to current: Coordinating and chief examiner, Western Australian Certificate of Education (Chemistry)
2010 to current: Member, Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Biological Sciences and biotechnology Specialist Committee
2006, and 2010 to current: Member, Council of Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering
2007 to 2010: Convenor, Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Winter School
2007 to 2009: Director Radiopharmaceutical Development, Australian Institute of Radiochemical Engineering
Reviewer, Journal of Radiolabelled Compounds
Reviewer, Medical Research Council, U.K.
Ms Nadira Batool: ‘The Aqueous and Environmental Chemistry of Vanadium’
- Senthilkumar, B., Kalai Selvan, R., Meyrick, D., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2015), Synthesis and Characterization of Manganese Molybdate for Symmetric Capacitor Applications, International Journal of Electrochemical Science, 10, 1, pages 185 - 193.
- Biswal, A., Tripathy, B., Subbaiah, T., Meyrick, D., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2015), Dual Effect of Anionic Surfactants in the Electrodeposited MnO2 Trafficking Redox Ions for Energy Storage, Electrochemical Society. Journal, 162, 1, pages A30 - A38.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Meyrick, D., Ionescu, M., Tripathy, B., Biswal, A., Subbaiah, T., (2014), Effect of Non-ionic Surfactants and Its Role in K Intercalation in Electrolytic Manganese Dioxide, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions E - Materials for Energy Systems, 1, 3, pages 226 - 238.
- Baskar, S., Meyrick, D., Kalai Selvan, R., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2014), Facile and large scale combustion synthesis of a-CoMoO4: Mimics the redox behavior of a battery in aqueous hybrid device, Chemical Engineering Journal, 253, , pages 502 - 507.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Meyrick, D., Appadoo, D., (2013), Maricite (NaMn1/3Ni1/3Co1/3PO4)/Activated Carbon: Hybrid Capacitor, Energy & Fuels, 27, , pages 3516 - 3522.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Meyrick, D., (2013), Reversible sodiation in maricite NaMn1/3Co1/3Ni1/3PO4 for renewable energy storage, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 555, , pages 10 - 15.
- Nallathamby, K., Meyrick, D., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2013), Carbonate anion controlled growth of LiCoPO4/C nanorods and its improved electrochemical behavior, Electrochimica Acta, 101, , pages 18 - 26.
- Senthilkumar, B., Vijaya Sankar, K., Kalai Selvan, R., Meyrick, D., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2013), Nano -NiMoO4 as a new electrode for electrochemical supercapacitors, RSC Advances: an international journal to further the chemical sciences, 3, 2, pages 352 - 357.
- Biswal, A., Tripathy, B., Sanjay, K., Meyrick, D., Subbaiah, T., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2013), Influence of the microstructure and its stabilityon the electrochemical properties of EMD producedfrom a range of precursors, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry: current research and development in science and technology, 17, , pages 3191 - 3198.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Meyrick, D., (2013), Electrochemical energy storage device for securing future renewable energy, Electrochimica Acta, 101, , pages 66 - 70.
- Biswal, A., Tripathy, B., Subbaiah, T., Meyrick, D., Minakshi Sundaram, M., (2013), Electrodeposition of manganese dioxide: effectof quaternary amines, Journal of Solid State Electrochemistry: current research and development in science and technology, 17, , pages 1349 - 1356.
- Minakshi Sundaram, M., Kandhasamy, S., Meyrick, D., (2012), Synthetic strategies for better battery performance through advances in materials and chemistry: Olivine LiMn1/3Co1/3Ni1/3PO4, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 544, , pages 62 - 66.
- Zydorczak, B., May, P., Meyrick, D., Hefter, G., Batka, D., (2012), Dissolution of Cr2O3(s) and the behaviour of chromium in concentrated NaOH solutions, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51, , pages 16537 - 16543.
- Moorin, R., Meyrick, D., Rose, A., (2007), Pre-clinical Evaluation of 2,3-Dimercaptosuccinic Acid as a Radiation Nephrotoxicity Protective Agent during Radiopeptide Therapy of Neuroendocrine Malignancy, Nuclear Medicine Communications, 28, 4, pages 261 - 266.
- Chirila, T., Morrison, D., Gridneva, Z., Meyrick, D., Hicks, C., Webb, J., (2005), Effect of multipurpose solutions for contact lens care on the in vitro drug-induced spoliation of poly(2-hydroxyethyl methacrylate) in simulated aqueous humour, Contact Lens & Anterior Eye, 28, 1, pages 21 - 28.
- Meyrick, D., Webb, J., Cole, C., (2002), Iron and Iron Proteins in the Genetic Disease, Hereditary Spherocytosis., Inorganica Chimica Acta, 339, , pages 481 - 487.
- Cole, C., Meyrick, D., Webb, J., (2001), Spleen Tissue Iron in Hereditary Spherocytosis., Blood, 96, , pages 4b - 5b.
Meyrick, D.P. ‘Uranium Mobility in Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project: Rate of U Release and Remobilisation’ – August 2011
Meyrick, D.P. ‘Uranium Mobility in Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project: U Mobilisation from Residues and Sorption to Solid Phases’ – May 2011
Meyrick, D.P. and May, P.M. ‘Chemical Reactions in Alkaline Aqueous Solutions of Relevance to Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project – Part 2′ – October 2010
Meyrick, D.P. and May, P.M. ‘Chemical Reactions in Alkaline Aqueous Solutions of Relevance to Toro Energy’s Wiluna Uranium Project – Part 1′, June 2010
Meyrick, D.P., Koenigsberger, E., Koenigsberger, L-C., Molinari, C., and May, P.M. ‘Concentrated Acidic Solutions of High Silica Bauxite Ores’ – Report to Principle Bayer Technologist, CSIRO, February 2008