+61 8 9360 6350
Dr Gerd Schröder-Turk
Dipl-Phys (Cologne); PhD (ANU); Dr. habil. (FAU Erlangen)
I am a senior lecturer in Maths & Stats within the School of Engineering and Information Technology at Murdoch University. I refer to my field of research as ‘Materials geometry’, that is, the materials science and physics of complex nano- or micro-structured materials addressed through the goggles of geometry, including hyperbolic, computational and stochastic geometry. A particular research focus are ordered network-like nanogeometries based on triply-periodic surfaces and nets, formed spontaneously by self-assembly or in biological systems, with a variety of interesting properties, from photonics to mechanics, and with a likely role in many biological processes. I enjoy interdisciplinary work, between mathematical modeling, physics, physical chemistry and materials science.
Click here for a campus map with my office marked.
Current and upcoming courses
- MAS220 (Mathematical Methods), Semester 1 (2017), Murdoch University
- BSC200 (Research in the Physical and Life Sciences), Semester 1 (2017), Murdoch University. (unit coordinator Cassandra Berry, VLS)
- Summer school ’Geometry and topology of liquid crystals and related ordered ma-
terials’, Niels Bohr Institute International PhD School, Copenhagen, Denmark, 3-9 Sept 2017
- MAS162 (Foundations of Discrete Mathematics), Semester 2 (2017), Murdoch University
- MAS220 (Mathematical Methods), Semester 1 (2016), Murdoch University. Joint coordination with Duncan Farrow / Semester 1 (2015), Murdoch University. Joint coordination with Graeme Hocking.
- BSC200 (Research in the Physical and Life Sciences), Semester 1 (2016), Murdoch University. (unit coordinator Cassandra Berry, VLS)
- MAS162 (Foundations of Discrete Mathematics), Semester 2 (2016), Murdoch University; Semester 2 (2015), Murdoch University
- Postgraduate Research School “Winter Research School on Soft and Biological Materials”, held at Murdoch University, 26-30 Sept 2016.
- Lecture Course on Statistical Physics and Thermodynamics, Theoretische Physik 4, Winter semester 2014/15, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg.
- Seminar course “Optimal Shapes and Complex Structure in Soft Matter Physics”, seminar course at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, winter term 2013/14 (timetable)
- Lecture-course on “Introduction to computational physics and numerical methods” (undergraduate level), at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg (all summer semesters from 2007 – 2014)
- Summer school ’Geometry and topology of liquid crystals and related ordered ma-
terials’, Niels Bohr Institute International PhD School, Copenhagen, Denmark, 19-23 August 2013 and RMIT, Melbourne 12-16 August 2014 (lectures and co-organisation, assisting main organisers Stephen Hyde)
- Lecture course on “Simulation methods for liquids (computational physics II)”, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, winter semesters 2010/11, 2011/12 and 2012/13.
- Lecture course on “Molecular dynamics simulations of granular matter and finite element methods for mechanical properties ”, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, summer semester 2009.
- Block course “Introduction to scientific programming in C/C++” (undergraduate level), 5 days full-time, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, I’ve designed this course and either taught this course or supervised postgraduate students teaching the course in all years from 2007 to 2014 (time table)
- Seminar course “Self-organisation and geometry of spatially complex matter”, FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg, summer semester 2008.
I refer to my research area as ‘materials geometry’, that is, the combination of geometry and the science of biological or synthetic materials. Much of my research is focused on systems where a complex spatial structure determines their physical or biological properties. In such systems, the route to understanding physics or function is often via modern geometry, including hyperbolic and stochastic geometry.
Formation of complex structure in biology and chemistry:
- Self-assembly of network phases in copolymeric or lipid systems
- Butterfly nanostructures and their biological formation mechanisms
- Formation of gyroid phases and other bicontinuous structures
- Pattern formation of spatio-temporal chaos in Turing reaction-diffusion systems
Applications of complex structures for advanced materials
- Triply-periodic surfaces as microstructure designs for bone scaffolds
- Gyroid-related geometries as nano-engineered photonic materials
- Geometries for nano-fabrication and 3D printing
Characterisation and 3D imaging of complex material morphologies
- Minkowski tensors and integral geometry of amorphous materials
- Medial axes and pore size measures for biopolymer networks
- Quantitative morphology of disordered porous, granular & cellular materials
- Local shape and anisotropy measures for granular materials
- Bond-orientational order metrics and Minkowski tensors
Geometric concepts and algorithmic solutions
- Triply-periodic minimal surfaces and constant mean curvature surfaces
- Tricontinuous and poly-continuous geometries
- Simulation approaches for complex bandstructures and evanescent modes
- Group theoretic approaches for optics and mechanics of microstructured materials
Statistical physics and materials properties
- Phase transitions of granular materials and random close packing
- Auxetic material microstructures: group theory, fabrication and geometry
- Emergence of structural chirality in chitin nanostructured materials
- Non-universal behaviour of percolation on four-valent networks
- Anomalous diffusion in critical pore spaces
I always welcome applications and requests for information from enthusiastic prospective postgraduate and Honours students, as well as for shorter project work or internships.
Please click here for available projects: http://gerdschroeder-turk.org/available-projects/
Opportunities for scholarships and funding are listed here. I look forward to hearing from you!
2014 Emmy-Noether Prize for an outstanding habilitation thesis at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg
2010 Award for Excellence in Teaching by the Physics Department of the University Erlangen (“Preis für eine hervorragend evaluierte Lehrveranstaltung”)
2016 Ian Potter Foundation, Conference Organisation Grant “Animal, Vegetal, Mineral” Conference Yallingup/WA Sept 2016
2015 Universities Australia / German Academic Exchange Service collaboration grant
2015 Australian Academy of Sciences, Boden conference grant, for conference ‘Animal, Vegetal, Mineral?’ (joint application with Stephen Hyde, ANU)
2015 Royal Society of Chemistry Small Grant for organisation of conference ‘Shape Up – Exercises in Materials Geometry and Topology‘, Berlin 14-18 Sept 2015.
- Seminar series “From Snot to Tissue : Development, geometry & function of soft & biological matter”, Murdoch University (web link)
- Geometry and Physics of Spatial Random Systems, Conference at the Interface of Mathematics and physics addressing systems with spatial disorder, Bad Herrenalb (Germany), 10-15 September 2016
- Summer school ’Geometry and topology of liquid crystals and related ordered ma-
terials’, Niels Bohr Institute International PhD School, Copenhagen, Denmark, 3-9 Sept 2017 (with Jacob Kirkensgaard, Stephen Hyde, Myfanwy Evans, Toen Castle)
- Symposium “Bioinspired Functional Materials: From Nature’s Nanoarchitectures to Nanofabricated Designs” (SYBM) at the Spring Meeting of the German Physical Society (DPG), Dresden 19-24 March 2017. (joint organisation with Karin Jacobs and Robert Magerle)
- Focus Session “New Mesophase Symmetries and Topologies in Self-Assembled Soft Matter” (invited speaker: Frank Bates) at the American Physical Society (APS) Spring Meeting in New Orleans (joint organisation with Annela Seddon, Cecile Leal and Mahesh Mahanthappa)
Upcoming conference presentations
- “Geometric principles and computations for photonic and mechanical meta-materials”, invited talk at workshop on “Geometry and Materials”, embedded/associated with Computational Geometry Week and the 33rd International Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2017), 4-7 July 2017, Brisbane
- “Functional photonic nanostructures in insects : Biomimetic strategies for translation to photonic devices.”, 5th International Conference on Biophotonics, 30 April – 1 May 2017 – Fremantle, Western Australia
- “Hierarchical organization of butterfly gyroid nanostructures provide a time-frozen glimpse of intracellular membrane development“, American Physical Society March Meeting, New Orleans, 13-17 March 2017
- “Pattern-fluid interpretation of chemical turbulence“, American Physical Society March Meeting, New Orleans, 13-17 March 2017
- “The Bicontinuous Gyroid-Phase in Purely Entropic Self-Assembly of Hard Pears“, German Physical Society (DPG) Spring Meeting, Dresden 19-24 March 2017
- “Hyperuniformisation by Lloyd’s algorithm for Centroidal Voronoi diagrams“, German Physical Society (DPG) Spring Meeting, Dresden 19-24 March 2017 (poster presentation by Jacov Lovric)
- “Pattern fluid interpretation of chemical turbulence”, German Physical Society (DPG) Spring Meeting, Dresden 19-24 March 2017
Past conferences and events
- 2016 Boden Research Conference “Animal, Vegetal, Mineral? Emergence and function of complex nanostructures in biological tissue and synthetic self-assembly“, Yallingup/WA, 19-23 Sept 2016
- Symposium ‘TT: Topology in Materials Science—Biological and Functional Nanomaterials, Metrology and Modeling‘ (joint organisation with Sanju Gupta, Zhong Fang and Avadh Saxena) at the MRS Fall Meeting, 29 Nov – 4 Dec 2015, Boston/MA
- Conference ‘Shape Up : Exercises in Materials Geometry and Topology‘, 14-18 Sept 2015, Berlin (joint organisation with Myfanwy Evans, Frank Lutz, Bodo Wilts and Andrew Kraynik)
- Conference ‘Geometry and Physics of Spatial Random Systems‘, 7-11 Sept 2015, Bad Herrenalb / Black Forest (joint organisation with DFG research group GPSRS).
- Conference ‘Physics of Cells: From Molecules to Systems (PhysCell 2015)‘, 30 Aug – 4 Sept 2015, Bad Staffelstein, Germany (one of many members of the co-organisation committee)
- “Complex Nanogeometries: Woven, folded, grown & functional“, One-day Workshop at Murdoch University with speakers Prof. Stephen Hyde (ANU), Prof. Julian Gale (Curtin), Dr Piotr Kowalczyk (Murdoch) and Dr. Toen Castle (Pennsylvania State), 18 May 2015
- Focus session “Beyond the Gyroid: Complex Network Phases in Self-Assembled Soft Materials“, joint organiser with Jacob Kirkensgaard (Niels Bohr Institute Copenhagen), American Physical Society Spring Meeting, San Antonio / Texas, 2-6 March 2015
Past invited presentations
- “Local Structure Metric Based on Voronoi Diagram and Minkowski Tensors Reveals Non-Universality in Random Ellipsoid Packings”, invited presentation, Packing across length scales – 3rd international conference on packing problems, Shanghai, 29 Aug – 1 Sept 2016.
- “Beyond periodic order: circular polarisation effects in deformed gyroid materials”, invited presentation, META-2016 conference on metamaterials, Malaga/Spain, 25-28 July 2016
- “Chiro-optical materials inspired by the handed single gyroid structure in green butterflies”, invited presentation, PacifiChem 2015 conference, symposium on The Physical Structure, Function of Biological and Bioinspired Soft Matter, Honolulu/Hawaii, 15-20 Dec 2015
- “Minkowski tensor morphology measures for granular and cellular structures: Can you tell the point process from its average cell shape?”, keynote lecture, 14th International Congress for Stereology & Image Analysis, Liege/Belgium, 6-10 July 2015.
- “Minkowski tensor shape analysis of cellular, granular and porous structures”, invited talk, Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference, Minisymposium 96: Pore Morphology in Deforming Geomaterials: Observation, Characterization, and Modeling to Improve Performance of Critical Urban Systems. Stanford University on June 16-19, 2015 (participation cancelled)
- “Iridescence, Inclination & Circular Dichroism in Gyroid Photonic Crystals“, invited presentation, The Rank Prize Funds Symposium on the Perception of Iridescence, Grasmere/UK, 20-23 April 2015
- “The Tricontinuous 3ths(5) Phase: A New Morphology in Copolymer Melts“, invited presentation, German Physical Society Meeting Berlin, 16-20 March 2015
- “Biophotonics with a twist: the chiral gyroid in butterfly wing-scales”, colloquium talk, 10 March 2015, Adolphe Merkle Institut, Fribourg, Switzerland
- “Characterizing anisotropic features of cellular and granular structures by Minkowski tensors”, two invited lectures at Workshop on Tensor Valuations in Stochastic Geometry and Imaging, Sandbjerg Estate, Sonderborg, Denmark, 21-26 Sept 2014.
- “Eight-fold Intergrowth of Gyroid Nets: A Chiral Dielectric Material with Optical Activity Comparable to That of Meta-materials“, invited talk at PIERS 2014 – Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium PIERS in Guangzhou, China, 25-28 August, 2014
- Keynote lecture at conference on ’Lipid Cubic Phases: from Fundamentals to Applications’, organised by John Seddon and Calum Drummond, Heron Island, 30 Jul to 2 Aug 2014.
- ”Circular polarisation effects in Gyroid nanostructures: inspiration from butterfly wing-scales and biological relevance”, invited lecture, Living Light 2014: Living Light: Uniting biology and photonics, Namur (Belgium), 10-12 April 2014
- ”Jammed Particle Configurations: Local Structure Analysis by Minkowski Tensors”, invited talk, Workshop on Non-Linear Response in Complex Matter, Erlangen (Germany), 25-27 Feb 2013
- ”Multiple Entangled Chiral Nets Topology and the Transmission of circularly polarised light, invited lecture, Symposium on Geometry and Topology of Biomolecular and Functional Nanomaterials, MRS Fall Meeting, Boston, 25-30 Nov 2012
- “Mechanical Properties of Minimal Surface Scaffolds as Custom-Made Porous Solids”, invited lecture, International Workshop ”Through the looking-glass: a glimpse into the geometry of materials.”, Princeton University, 3-5 Dec 2012
- ”The Shape of Voronoi Cells – Insight into Spherical Bead Packs”, invited talk, InternationalWorkshop on Packing Problems, Dublin, 2-5 Sept 2012
- ”Minimal surfaces and nets as chiral photonic materials”, short invited talk, CUDOS workshop, Shoalhaven Bay, NSW, Australia, 31 Jan – 3 Feb 2012
For presentations prior to 2012, please refer to my former web page at the FAU Erlangen Nuremberg.
2017 President of the WA branch of the Australian Institute of Physics
2016 Vice-President of the WA branch of the Australian Institute of Physics
If you are a prospective student interested in pursuing postgraduate or honours research under my guidance, please drop me an email on email@example.com. I’m always looking for enthusiastic students!
- Philipp Schoenhoefer, PhD student, Entropic soft matter phases in colloidal particles, Murdoch University (joint supervision with Mark Lukas and Matthieu Marechal)
- Fabian Schaller, PhD thesis, Models and tomography experiments of granular materials of aspherical particles, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg (joint supervision with Matthias Schröter)
- Holger Mitschke, PhD thesis, Auxetic deformations of structured materials, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg
- Simon Weis, PhD thesis, Mechanics and structure of amorphous packings of aspherical particles, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg (joint supervision with Matthias Schröter)
Doctorate students (completed)
- Matthias Saba, PhD thesis, “Photonic crystals with chirality — Group theory, algorithmic tools and experimental approaches for Gyroid-like photonic material”, submitted June 2015; graduated Dec 2015 (with distinction)
- Sebastian Kapfer, PhD thesis, Morphometry and Physics of Particulate and Porous Media, graduated Dec 2011 (with distinction). Shortlisted for the national SKM-thesis prize of the Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Susan Nachtrab, PhD thesis, “Percolation and Elasticity of Networks: From Cellular Structures to Fibre Bundles”, Apr. 2008-Dec. 2011, Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
Doctorate students for which I was an informal external advisor (completed)
- Mark Turner, PhD thesis, “Chiral photonic crystals and metamaterials”, Swinburne University of Technology, Jan. 2010-Sept 2012. (principal supervisor Prof. Min Gu)
Masters / Diplom students (completed)
- Johannes Hielscher, Masters thesis, “Circular Dichroism of Distorted Structure-Photonic Materials“, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg (joint supervision with Matthias Saba), completed April 2015. Awarded the Ohm-Prize 2015 by the FAU Department Physik. [pdf]
- Simon Weis, Masters thesis, “Einfluss der Reibung auf strukturelle und mechanische Eigenschaften von Kugel- und Ellipsoidpackungen”, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg (joint supervision with Matthias Schröter and Fabian Schaller), completed March 2015
- Michael Fischer, Masters thesis, “Thermodynamic stability of the novel tricontinuous 3ths(5) structure in self-assembled melts of triblock star-copolymers”, completed March 2014. Awarded the Ohm-Prize 2014 by the FAU Department Physik.
- Fabian Schaller, Diplom-Physik thesis, Jammed packings of ellipsoids – random close packing and anisotropy by tomography, May 2011-Apr. 2012
- Matthias Hoffmann, Diplom-Physik thesis, Loop percolation, July 2010-July. 2011 (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Matthias Saba, Diplom-Physik thesis, Band structure analysis for Gyroid photonic crystals, May 2009-April 2010. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Markus Spanner, Diplom-Physik thesis, Anomalous Transport in Porous Media near the Percolation Transition, May 2009 – April 2010 (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke and Thomas Franosch)
- Stefan Kuczera, Diplom-Physik thesis, Grand Canonical Monte Carlo Simulation of Confined Hard Sphere Fluids, Aug 2009 – Aug 2010 (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke and Roland Roth)
- Christian Scholz, Diplom-Physik thesis, Morphology of Experimental and Simulated Turing Patterns, Aug 2008 – Aug 2009. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Holger Mitschke, Diplom-Physik thesis, Auxetic deformations of periodic plane skeletal structures, Aug 2008 – Aug 2009. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Walter Mickel, Diplom-Physik thesis, Charakterisierung anisotroper Strukturen mittels Minkowski-Tensoren, Feb 2007 – Feb 2008. Awarded the Ohm-Prize 2008 by the FAU Department Physik. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
Bachelor theses (3 months research theses, at end of 3rd year)
- Michael Fischer, Bachelor project, Packing frustration in tri-continuous mesophase geometries for mikto-arm copolymers (pdf), July 2011-October 2012. Awarded the Ohm-Prize 2012 by the FAU Department Physik.
- Michael Stauber, Bachelor project, Finite Difference analysis of Electrostatic potentials in layered graphene/SiC substrates under an STM tip, May 2011-August 2012 (joint supervision with Prof. M. Schneider)
- Johannes Zirkelbach, Bachelor project, Structure and dynamics of simulated liquid foams, May-August 2011 (joint supervision with Myfanwy Evans, Andy Kraynik & Klaus Mecke)
- Richard Schielein, Bachelor project, Structural properties and anisotropy of crystalline sphere packs, May-July 2011
- Michael Schmidt, Bachelor project, Robust Medial Surface of porous structures, June – Sept. 2010.
- Nicola Kleppmann, Bachelor project, Anisotropy of Potts Model Foams during Coarsening and of Metal Foams, May – August 2010. Awarded the Ohm-Prize 2010 by the FAU Department Physik. (joint supervision with Klaus Mecke)
- Anna-Lena Robisch, Bachelor project, Bikontinuierliche C(Y)-Strukturen als photonische Kristallmodelle mit Händigkeit, May – August 2010.
Note: For all students at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg who completed prior to me obtaining my habilitation degree, Klaus Mecke was the official supervisor.
- Mitschke, H., Schury, F., Mecke, K., Wein, F., Stingl, M., Schroeder-Turk, G., (2016), Geometry: The leading parameter for the Poisson's ratio of bending-dominated cellular solids, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 100-101, , pages 1 - 10.
- Spanner, M., Höfling, F., Kapfer, S., Mecke, K., Schroeder-Turk, G., Franosch, T., (2016), Splitting of the universality class of anomalous transport in crowded media, Physical Review Letters, 116, 6, .
- Topic, N., Schaller, F., Schroeder-Turk, G., Poschel, T., (2016), The microscopic structure of mono-disperse granular heaps and sediments of particles on inclined surfaces, Soft Matter, 12, 13, pages 3184 - 3188.
- Scholz, C., Schroeder-Turk, G., Mecke, K., (2015), Pattern-fluid interpretation of chemical turbulence, Physical review E Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics, 91, 4, pages 042907-1 - 042907-6.
- Turella, F., Cumming, B., Schroeder-Turk, G., Gu, M., (2015), Observation of optical activity in dielectric biomimetic 8-srs networks, Optics Letters, 40, 20, pages 4795 - 4798.
- Schaller, F., Neudecker, M., Saadatfar, M., Delaney, G., Schroeder-Turk, G., Schröter, M., (2015), Local Origin of Global Contact Numbers in Frictional Ellipsoid Packings, Physical Review Letters, 114, 15, pages 1 - 5.
- Winter, B., Butz, B., Dieker, C., Schroeder-Turk, G., Mecke, K., Spiecker, E., (2015), Coexistence of both gyroid chiralities in individualbutterfly wing scales of Callophrys rubi, National Academy of Sciences. Proceedings, 112, 42, pages 12911 - 12916.
- Scholz, C., Wirner, F., Klatt, M., Hirneise, D., Schroeder-Turk, G., Bechinger, C., Mecke, K., (2015), Direct Relations between Morphology and Transport in Boolean Models, Physical review E Statistical, nonlinear, and soft matter physics, 92, 4, pages 043023 -.
- Nachtrab, S., Hoffmann, M., Kapfer, S., Schroeder-Turk, G., Mecke, K., (2015), Beyond the percolation universality class: the vertex split model for tetravalent lattices, New Journal of Physics, 17, , pages -.
- Schaller, F., Kapfer, S., Hilton, J., Cleary, P., Mecke, K., De Michele, C., Schilling, T., Saadatfar, M., Schroter, M., Delaney, G., Schroeder-Turk, G., (2015), Non-universal Voronoi cell shapes in amorphous ellipsoid packs, Europhysics Letters: a letters journal exploring the frontiers of physics, 111, 24002, pages 1 - 11.
- S. Weis, P.W.A. Schönhöfer, F.M. Schaller, M. Schröder, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Pomelo, a tool for computing Generic Set Voronoi Diagrams of Aspherical Particles of Arbitrary Shape”, accepted for publication in Proceedings of Powders and Grains 2017 : 8th International Conference on Micromechanics of Granular Media, EDP Sciences (2017)
- Philipp W. A. Schönhöfer, Laurence J. Ellison, Matthieu Marechal, Douglas J. Cleaver, and Gerd E. Schröder-Turk, “Purely Entropic Self-Assembly of the Bicontinuous Ia(-3)d Gyroid-Phase”, under review for publication in Interface Focus
- M.E. Evans, G.E. Schröder-Turk, A.M. Kraynik, “A geometric exploration of stress in deformed liquid foams”, accepted for publication in J. Phys.: Condens. Matter (2017)
- A. Mughal, T. Libertiny, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “How bees and foams respond to curved confinement: level set boundary representations in the Surface Evolver”, submitted for publication in Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects (2017)
- A.P. Dabkowska, M. Valldeperas, C. Hirst, C. Montis, G.K. Palsson, M. Wang, S. Nöjd, L. Gentile, J. Barauskas, N-J. Steinke, G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. George, M. Skoda, T. Nylander, “Non-lamella lipid assembly at interfaces – controlling layer structure by responsive nanogel particles”, submitted for publication in Interface Focus (2017)
- J. Hielscher, C. Pouya, P. Vukusic, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Harmonic distortions enhance circular dichroism of dielectric single Gyroids”, Opt. Express 25(5), 5001-5017 (2017)
- A. Mughal, S. Cox, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Curvature driven motion of soap cells in toroidal Hele-Shaw cells”, submitted for publication in Interface Focus (2017)
- M.A. Klatt, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke, “Anisotropy in finite continuum percolation: Threshold estimation by Minkowski functionals”, accepted for publication in J. Stat Mech, arxiv-version, (2017)
- B.P. Cumming, G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. Debbarma & M. Gu, “Bragg-mirror-like circular dichroism in bio-inspired quadruple-gyroid 4srs nanostructures”, Light: Science & Applications 6, e16192, doi: 10.1038/lsa.2016.192 (2016)
- M. Spanner, F. Höfling, S.C. Kapfer, K. Mecke, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and T. Franosch, “Splitting of the universality class of anomalous transport in crowded media”, Physical Review Letters 116, 060601, (arXiv version) (2016)
- M.A. Klatt, G. Last, K. Mecke, C. Redenbach, F.M. Schaller and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Cell shape analysis of random tessellations based on Minkowski tensors”, (arxiv version), accepted for publication in Springer Lecture Notes in Mathematics “Tensor Valuations and their Applications in Stochastic Geometry and Imaging”, vol 2177 (2016)
- H. Mitschke, F. Schury, F. Wein, K. Mecke, M. Stingl and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Geometry – the leading parameter for the Poisson’s ratio of bending-dominated cellular solids”, International Journal of Solids and Structure 100, 1-10, doi:10.1016/j.ijsolstr.2016.06.027 (2016)
- N. Topic , F.M. Schaller , G.E. Schröder-Turk and T. Pöschel, “Microscopic structure of mono-disperse granular heaps and sediments of particles on inclined surfaces”, Softmatter DOI: 10.1039/C5SM03114A (2016)
- M. Spanner, F. Höfling, S.C. Kapfer, K. Mecke, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and T. Franosch, “Splitting of the universality class of anomalous transport in crowded media”, accepted for publication in Physical Review Letters, arXiv version (2016)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, “The Hard Core of Soft Matter: Kugelsysteme in der weichen Materie“, Mitteilungen der Deutschen Mathematiker Vereinigung (MDMV), vol 23, issue 4, pages 208-217, (2015) (not peer-reviewed)
- C. Scholz, F. Wirner, M. Klatt, D. Hirneise, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke, C. Bechinger, “Direct Relations between Morphology and Transport in Boolean Models”, Physical Review E, accepted (2015)
- B. Winter, B. Butz, C. Dieker, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke, E. Spieker, “Coexistence of both gyroid chiralities in individual butterfly wing scales of Callophrys rubi“, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, published online (2015)
- F. Turella, B. Cumming, G.E. Schröder-Turk, M. Gu, “Observation of optical activity in dielectric biomimetic 8-srs networks”, Optics Letters, to be published (2015)
- M.E. Evans & G.E. Schröder-Turk, “In a material world: hyperbolic geometry in biological materials”, Asia Pacific Mathematics Newsletter, Issue 2, September 2015 (popular science, not referreed, pdf)
- F.M. Schaller, S.C. Kapfer, J.E. Hilton, P. Cleary, K. Mecke, C. de Michele, T. Schilling, M. Saadatfar, M. Schröter, G.W. Delaney, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Non-universal Voronoi cell shapes in amorphous ellipsoid packings“, EPL (Europhysics Letters) 111, 24002 (2015)
- F.M. Schaller, M. Neudecker, M. Saadatfar, G.W. Delaney, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and M. Schröter, “Local Origin of Global Contact Numbers in Frictional Ellipsoid Packings“, Phys. Rev. Lett. 114, 158001 (featured on PRL cover)
- S. Nachtrab, M.J.F. Hoffmann, S.C. Kapfer, G.E Schröder-Turk and Klaus Mecke, “Beyond the percolation universality class: the vertex split model for tetravalent lattices“, New J. Phys. 17, 043061 (2015) [pdf]
- C. Scholz, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and K. Mecke, “Pattern-fluid interpretation of chemical turbulence“, Phys. Rev. E 91, 042907 (2015)
- M. Saba and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Block modes and evanescent modes of photonic crystals: weak form solutions based on accurate interface triangulation”, Crystals 5(1), 14-44 (2015)
- B. Schuetrumpf, M.A. Klatt, K. Iida, G.E. Schröder-Turk, J.A. Mahrun, K. Mecke and P.-G. Reinhard, “Appearance of the single gyroid network phase in ‘nuclear pasta’ matter”, Physical Review C 91, 025801 (2015)
- M.G. Fischer, S.T. Hyde, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Comment on ‘Discovery of a tetracontinuous aqueous lyotropic network phase with unusual 3D-hexagonal symmetry’”, Softmatter 11, 1226-1227 (2015)
- B. Schuetrumpf, M.A. Klatt, K. Iida, G.E. Schröder-Turk, J.A. Maruhn, K. Mecke, P.G. Reinhard, “Minimal surfaces in nuclear pasta with time-dependent Hartree-Fock approach”, Proc. of the 52th international winter meeting on nuclear physics, 27-31 January 2014, Bormio/Italy (2014)
- M. Saba, B.D. Wilts, J. Hielscher and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Absence of circular polarization in reflections of butterfly wing scales with chiral Gyroid structure”, Materials Today: Proceedings 1, 193-208 (2014)
- M.E. Evans and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “In a material world: Hyperbolische Geometrie in biologischen Materialien”, Mitteilungen der Deutschen Mathematiker-Vereinigung 22(3), 158-166 (2014)
- B.P. Cumming, M.D. Turner, G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. Debbarma, B. Luther-Davies and M. Gu, “Adaptive optics enhanced direct laser writing of high refractive index gyroid photonic crystals in chalcogenide glass”, Optics Express 22, 689-698 (2014)
- M.G. Fischer, L. de Campo, J.J.K. Kirkensgaard, S.T. Hyde, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “The tricontinuous 3ths(5) phase: a new morphology in copolymer melts”, Macromolecules 47, 7424-7430 (2014)
- M. Saba, M.D. Turner, M. Gu, K. Mecke, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Chiral Photonic Crystals with 4-fold Symmetry: Band Structure and S-Parameters of Eight-Fold Intergrown Gyroid Nets”, Proceedings of SPIE Vol 8923, 89233T-1 (2013)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, R. Schielein, S.C. Kapfer, F.M. Schaller, G.W. Delaney, T. Senden, M. Saadatfar, T. Aste and K. Mecke, “Minkowski Tensors and Local Structure Metrics: Amorphous and Crystalline Sphere Packings”, AIP Conference Proceedings 1542, 349-352 (2013)
- H. Mitschke, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke, P.W. Fowler, S.D. Guest, “Symmetry detection of auxetic behavior in 2D frameworks”, EPL 102, 66005 (2013)
- W. Mickel, S.C. Kapfer, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and K. Mecke, “Shortcomings of the bond orientational order parameters for the analysis of disordered particulate matter”, Journal of Chemical Physics 138, 044501 (2013)
- F.M. Schaller, S.C. Kapfer, M.E. Evans, M.J.F. Hoffmann, T. Aste, M. Saadatfar, K. Mecke, G.W. Delaney, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Set Voronoi diagrams of 3D assemblies of aspherical particles”, Philosophical Magazine 93, 3993-4017 (2013)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, W. Mickel, S.C. Kapfer, F.M. Schaller, B. Breidenbach, D. Hug, K. Mecke, “Minkowski tensors of anisotropic spatial structure”, New Journal of Physics 15, 083028 (2013)
- H. Mitschke, V. Robins, K. Mecke, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Finite auxetic deformations of plane tessellations”, Proceedings of the Royal Society A – Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 469, 20120465 (2013)
- M.D. Turner, G.E. Schröder-Turk and M. Gu, “Biomimetic photonic materials by direct laser writing”, in ‘Laser Technology in Biomimetics’, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pages 67-82 (2013)
- M.D. Turner, M. Saba, Q. Zhang, B.P. Cumming, G.E. Schröder-Turk, and M. Gu, “A chiral beamsplitter inspired by butterfly nanostructures”, Frontiers in Optics, post-deadline paper, doi: 10.1364/FIO.2013.FW6A.3 (2013)
- M. Saba, M.D. Turner, K. Mecke, M. Gu and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Group theory of circular-polarization effects in chiral photonic crystals with four-fold rotation axes applied to the eight-fold intergrowth of gyroid nets”, Physical Review B 88(24), 245116 (2013)
- F.M. Schaller, M. Neudecker, M. Saadatfar, G.W. Delaney, K. Mecke, G.E. Schröder-Turk and M. Schroeter, “Tomographic analysis of jammed ellipsoid packings”, AIP Conference Proceedings 1542, 377-380 (2013)
- M.D. Turner, M. Saba, Q.M. Zhang, B.P. Cumming, G.E. Schröder-Turk, M. Gu, “Miniature chiral beamsplitter based on gyroid photonic crystals”, Nature Photonics 7(10), 801-805 (2013)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, L. de Campo, M.E. Evans, M. Saba, S.C. Kapfer, T. Varslot, K. Grosse-Brauckmann, S. Ramsden and S.T. Hyde, Polycontinuous geometries for inverse surfactant phases with more than two aqueous network domains , Faraday Discussions 161, 215-247 (2013)
- M.E. Evans, J. Zirkelbach, G.E. Schröder-Turk, A.M. Kraynik, and K. Mecke, Deformation of Platonic foam cells: Effect on growth rate , Phys. Rev. E 85 , 061401 (2012)
- S.C. Kapfer, W. Mickel, K. Mecke, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, Jammed Spheres: Minkowski Tensors Reveal Onset of Local Crystallinity , Phys. Rev. E 85 , 030301(Rapid Communication) (2012)
- M. Saadatfar, M. Mukherjee, M. Madadi, G.E. Schröder-Turk, F. Garcia-Moreno, F.M. Schaller, S. Hutzler, A.P. Sheppard, J. Banhart, U. Ramamurty, Structural and Finite Element analysis of tomographic data for closed cell aluminum foam subject to uniaxial compression, Acta Materialia 60 (8), 36043615 (2012)
- C. Scholz, F. Wirner, J. Götz, U. Rüde, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke and C. Bechinger, “Permeability of Porous Materials Determined from the Euler Characteristic”, Physical Review Letters 109, 264504 (2012)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, T. Varslot, L. de Campo, S.C. Kapfer and W. Mickel, “A bicontinuous lipid mesophase geometry with hexagonal symmetry”, Langmuir 27(17), 10475–10483 (2011)
- S. Nachtrab, S. Kapfer, D. Rietzel, D. Drummer, M. Madadi, C.H. Arns, A.M. Kraynik, G.E. Schröder-Turk and K. Mecke, “Tuning elasticity of open-cell solid foams and bone scaffolds via randomized vertex connectivity”, Advanced Engineering Materials 14, 120-124 (2012)
- W. Mickel, G.E. Schröder-Turk and K. Mecke, “Tensorial Minkowski Functionals of Triply-Periodic Minimal Surfaces”, J. Roy. Soc. Interf. Focus, doi: 10.1098/rsfs.2012.0007 (2012)
- S.T. Hyde and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Geometry of Interfaces: topological complexity in biology and materials”, Editorial and Introduction for issue of Interface Focus 5, organized by S.T. Hyde and G.E. Schröder-Turk, Interface Focus 2(5), 529-538 (2012)
- T. Franosch, M. Spanner, T. Bauer, G.E. Schröder-Turk, E. Frey, F. Höfling, “Space-resolved dynamics of a tracer in a disordered solid”, J. Non-Cryst. Solids 357, 472 (2011)
- S. Nachtrab, S.C. Kapfer, C.H. Arns, M. Madadi, K. Mecke and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Morphology and Linear-Elastic Moduli of Random Network Solids”, Advanced Materials 23, 2633-2637 (2011)
- H. Mitschke, J. Schwerdtfeger, F. Schury, M. Stingl, C. Körner, R.F. Singer, V. Robins, K. Mecke, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Finding auxetic frameworks in periodic tessellations”, Advanced Materials 23, 2669-2674 (2011)
- M. Saba, M. Thiel, M.D. Turner, S.T. Hyde, M. Gu, K. Grosse-Brauckmann, D.N. Neshev, G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Circular dichroism in biological photonic crystals and cubic chiral nets”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 103902 (2011)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, W. Mickel, S.C. Kapfer, M.A. Klatt, F.M. Schaller, M.J.F. Hoffmann, N. Kleppmann, P. Armstrong, A. Inayat, D. Hug, M. Reichelsdorfer, W. Peukert, W. Schwieger and K. Mecke, “Minkowski Tensor Shape Analysis of Cellular, Granular and Porous Structures”, Advanced Materials 23, 2535-2553 (2011)
- M.D. Turner, G.E. Schröder-Turk and M. Gu, “Fabrication and characterization of three-dimensional biomimetic chiral composites”, Optics Express, 19(10), 10001-10008 (2011)
- S.C. Kapfer, S.T. Hyde, K. Mecke, C.H. Arns, and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Minimal surface scaffold designs for tissue engineering”, Biomaterials 32(29), 6875-6882 (2011)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. Wickham, H. Averdunk, F. Brink, J. Fitz-Gerald, L. Poladian, M.C. Large and S.T. Hyde, “The chiral structure of porous chitin within the wing-scales of Callophrys rubi”, J. Struct. Biol. 174, 290-295 (2011)
- S.C. Kapfer, W. Mickel, F.M. Schaller, M. Spanner, C. Goll, T. Nogawa, N. Ito, K. Mecke and G.E. Schröder-Turk , “Local anisotropy of fluids using Minkowski tensors”, J. Stat. Mech: Theory and Exp. 2010 , 11010 (2010)
- R.G.E. Kimber, A.B. Walker, G.E. Schröder-Turk and D.J. Cleaver, “Bicontinuous minimal surface nanostructures for polymer blend solar cells”, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 12, 844 (2010)
- M. Spanner, F. Höfling, G.E. Schröder-Turk, K. Mecke and Th. Franosch, “Anomalous transport of a tracer on percolating clusters”, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter. 23, 234120, (2010)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, W. Mickel, K. Mecke, G. Delanay, M. Saadatfar, T. Senden, T. Aste, “Disordered Spherical Bead Packs are Anisotropic”, Europhys. Lett. 90 (3), 34001 (2010)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. Kapfer, B. Breidenbach, D. Hug, C. Beisbart and K. Mecke, “Tensorial Minkowski functionals and anisotropy measures for planar patterns”, Journal of Microscopy, 238 (1), 57-74 (2010)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, S. Kuczera, D. Hörndlein, F. Krach, T. Hiester and K. Mecke, “Monte-Carlo simulations of confined hard sphere fluids”, in Proceedings of the 2009 UGA CCSP Workshop, Elsevier Procedia 3, 1493-1497 (2010)
- W. Mickel, S. Münster, L.M. Jawerth, D.A. Vader, D.A. Weitz, A.P. Sheppard, K. Mecke, B. Fabry and G.E. Schröder-Turk, Robust Pore Size Analysis of Filamentous Networks From 3D Confocal Microscopy, Biophysical Journal 95 (12), 6072-6080 (2008)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, A. Fogden, and S.T. Hyde, “Local v/a variations as a measure of structural packing frustration in bicontinuous mesophases, and geometric arguments for an alternating Im(-3)m (IWP) phase in block-copolymers with polydispersity” , Eur. Phys. J. B 59 , 115-126 (2007)
- S.T. Hyde and G.E. Schröder-Turk, “Tangled (up in) cubes”, Acta Cryst A63 , 186-197 (2007)
- G.E. Schröder-Turk, A. Fogden and S.T. Hyde, “Bicontinuous geometries and molecular self-assembly: comparison of local curvature and global packing variations in genus-three cubic, tetragonal and rhombohedral surfaces”, European Journal of Physics B 54, 509-524 (2006)
- G.E. Schröder, A. Fogden and S.T. Hyde, “A rhombohedral family of minimal surfaces as a pathway between the P and D cubic mesophases”, Physica A 339, 137-144 (2004)
- S.T. Hyde and G.E. Schröder, “Novel surfactant mesostructural topologies: between lamellae and columnar (hexagonal) forms”, Curr. Opin. Colloid Interf. Sci. 8, 5-14 (2003)
- G.E. Schröder, S.J. Ramsden, A.G. Christy and S.T. Hyde, “Medial Surfaces of Hyperbolic Structures”, Eur. Phys. J. B 35, 551-564 (2003)
- G.E. Schröder, T. Knetter, M.A. Alava and H. Rieger, “Ground states versus low-temperature equilibra in random field Ising chains”, Eur. Phys. J. B 24, 101-105 (2001)
- T. Knetter, G.E. Schröder, M.A. Alava and H. Rieger, “Disorder-induced roughening transition of many elastic lines in a periodic potential”, Europhys. Lett. 55, 719-725 (2001)
Note: this content of this list is partially autogenerated (from a research publication data base), resulting in some unintended duplication of publication output. Please see also see my up-to-date publication list on http://gerdschroeder-turk.org/publications/