Dr GM Shafiullah
Lecturer in Electrical Engineering
GM received his Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics from Chittagong University of Engineering Technology (CUET), Bangladesh. He awarded Master of Engineering (2009) and Doctor of Philosophy (2013) from Central Queensland University, Australia. After completing PhD, he joined as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at Electrical and Renewable Energy Engineering, Deakin University, Australia. In 2015, GM joined at Murdoch University as a Lecturer in Electrical Engineering.
GM’s research interests include power systems, smart grid, renewable energy and its enabling technologies. He is the author of more than 55 referred published book chapters, journal papers, and conference papers including IEEE Transactions, Elsevier and AIP Journals.
GM is a regular reviewer of the leading Journals from IEEE, Elsevier and AIP. GM is a member of IEEE, IEEE PES and Engineers Australia. He is also a member in the editorial Boards of Power and Energy Engineering Journal.
GM has been teaching following Undergraduate and Postgraduate Units during the past 5 years:
- Power Transmission and Distribution Networks
- Power Systems Analysis and Design
- Energy Supply and Management
- Smart Grid Systems
- Industrial Data Communication
- Electrical Machine Drives
- Power Electronic Converter and Systems
GM’s research interest include power systems analysis, renewable energy and its enabling technologies, renewable energy integration, microgrid, smart gird, data communication and machine learning techniques.
- Investigation into Voltage Optimization for Abattoirs
- Monitoring and Optimization of Photovoltaic (PV) integrated Diesel Remote Network
- Low Voltage (LV) Network Performance Improvement and Maximization of PV
- Penetration using Load Management and PV Forecasting Techniques
- Mircogrid-based power system for rural community
- Experimental and Simulation Investigation of Microgrid Power systems with Distributed Energy Resources
- Development of an Intelligent Control System for Energy Efficient Management of Home Area Network
- Smart Microgrid System with Distributed Energy Resources.
Lead Investigator: Investigation into Voltage Optimization Technology for Abattoirs, ($63,900) funded by Australian Meat Processing Corporation (AMPC)
- Member of Professional Bodies: IEEE, IEEE PES, IEAUST, AAEE
- Editorial Board Member: Journal of Power and Energy Engineering
- Regular Reviewer’s of IEEE Transactions, ELSEVIER Journals, AIP Journals and conferences
Currently, I am supervising four PhD and one MS students in the following projects:
- An Innovative Control Approach to Improve PV Integration into Remote Electricity Networks
- An Intelligent Approach in Residential Demand Response Integration into Deregulated Electricity Market
- Innovative Control Strategies for Microgrid-based Power Systems
Performance Improvement of Building Heating, Cooling and Ventilation System
- Das, C., Ehsan, M., Kader, M., Alam, M., Shafiullah, G., (2016), A practical biogas based energy neutral home system for rural communities of Bangladesh, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, 8, 2, .
- Shafiullah, G., (2016), Hybrid renewable energy integration (HREI) system for subtropical climate in Central Queensland, Australia, Renewable Energy, 96, , pages 1034 - 1053.
- Aziz, A., Shafiullah, G., Stojcevski, A., (2016), Automatic Generation Control in Wind Integrated Power System: New Perspectives and Challenges, International Journal of Thermal & Environmental Engineering, 12, 1, pages 27 - 38.
- Shafiullah, G., Carter, C., (2015),Feasibility Study of Photovoltaic (PV)-Diesel Hybrid Power Systems for Remote Networks,In: IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) Asia Conference.
- Shafiullah, G., (2015),Analysis of Harmonics with Renewable Energy Integration into the Distribution Network,In: IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) Asia Conference.
Refereed Book Chapters:
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali and M. Arif, “Renewable Energy Integration:
Opportunities and Challenges”, Smart Grid: Opportunities, Developments and Trends, ISBN 978-1-4471-5210-1, Springer.
Amanullah M. T. Oo, GM Shafiullah, and S. Azad, “Developing renewable energy in Australia – regional advantage”, Regional advantage and Innovation, Springer.
GM Shafiullah, A. Thompson, P. Wolfs, and S. Ali, “Application of Machine Learning techniques for Railway Health Monitoring”, Dynamic and Advanced Data Mining for Processing Technological Development: Innovation and Systemic Approaches, IGI Global, ISBN13: 9781605669083, USA.
GM Shafiullah, A. Gyasi-Agyei, and P. Wolfs, “A Survey of energy-efficient and QoS-aware routing protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks”, Novel Algorithms and Techniques in Telecommunications, Automation and Industrial Electronics, ISBN 978-1-4020-8737-0, Springer.
Referred Journal Papers:
Harish Kumar RN, GM Shafiullah, Amanuallah Maung Than Oo,Alex Stojcevski, “Feasibility study of Standalone Hybrid Power system modeled with Photovoltaic modules and Ethanol generator for Victoria State, Australia,” International Journal of Engineering Science Invention, vol. 3, no. 8, pp. 54-69, August 2014
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and P. Wolfs, “Integration of roof-top solar PV systems into the low voltage distribution network”, vol. 6, issue 3, 2014, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, AIP.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and P. Wolfs, “Experimental and simulation
study of the impact of increased photovoltaic integration with the grid”, vol. 6, issue 3, 2014, Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy, AIP.
V. Arangarajan, Amanullah M. T. Oo, GM Shafiullah and Alex Stojcevski, “Potentialities of Renewable Energy in Victoria, Australia”, Journal of Energy and Power Engineering, David Publishing, USA.
S. Swarna, GM Shafiullah, Amanullah MT Oo, Alex Stojcevski, “Prospects of Renewable energy in Semi-arid region”, vol.2, no.4, 2014, Journal of Power and Energy Engineering (JPEE), Scientific Research.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and Alex Stojcevski, “Influences of wind energy integration into the distribution network”, vol. 2014, Journal of Wind Energy,
Hindawi Publishing Corporation.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and P. Wolfs, “Potential challenges of
integrating large-scale wind energy into the power grid – A review”, Journal of Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews, ELSEVIER.
GM Shafiullah, A. Azad, and S. Ali, “Energy-Efficient Wireless MAC Protocols for Railway Monitoring Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, IEEE.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and P. Wolfs, “Smart Grid for a Sustainable Future”, Journal of Smart Grid and Renewable Energy, Scientific Research, Vol. 4 No. 1, pp. 23 – 34, 2013.
M. Arif, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, and GM Shafiullah, “Significance of storage on solar photovoltaic system – a residential load case study in Australia,” Journal of Smart Grid and Renewable Energy, Scientific Research.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, D. Jarvis, and P. Wolfs, “Prospects of Renewable Energy – A feasibility study in the Australian context”, Journal of Renewable
Energy, ELSEVIER, vol. 39, pp. 183-197, 2012.
GM Shafiullah, Amanullah M. T. Oo, S. Ali, D. Jarvis, and P. Wolfs, “Economic analysis of Hybrid Renewable Model for Subtropical Climate”, International Journal of Thermal and Environmental Engineering (IJTEE), vol. 2, 2010.
GM Shafiullah, A.Thompson, P. Wolfs, and S. Ali, “Predicting Vertical Acceleration of Railway Wagons using Regression Algorithms”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 290-299, June, 2010.
GM Shafiullah, A. Thompson, P. Wolfs, and S. Ali, “Review of Wireless Communications Applications used for Railway Monitoring” Annual Review of Communications, vol. 61, International Engineering Consortium (IEC), 2008, USA.