0466 954 850
Dr Jenni Parker
BA (T&D), GradDip (CI), EdD
Lecturer, School of Education
I am a Lecturer in the School of Education at Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia. My areas of research include; authentic learning, online presence (social, cognitive and teaching), web technologies and open educational resources. View my online CV on LinkedIn.
I completed a Doctorate of Education (2015) at Murdoch University, a Graduate Diploma in Creative Industries specialising in Interactive Media Development (2009), and a BA in Training & Development (2003) at Edith Cowan University.
As an early career researcher, I have published a number of conference papers and co-authored four journal articles. My research papers are available through the Murdoch Research Repository.
- EDN113: Living and learning with technology
- EDN206: Integrating ICT in the classroom
- EDU615: Learning and teaching with ICT
- Authentic learning
- Communities of inquiry (CoI) and online presence
- Design-based research
- Free-to-share and open educational resources
- Graduate employability 2.0
- Online learning
- Web technologies
- “It is one of the most outstanding thesis I have examined” (Examiner 1)
- “The framework is quite unique and makes a solid and original contribution to both scholarship and research in designing and improving the quality of educational programs” (Examiner 2)
- “I found the thesis to be very well written…It is a pleasure to read. This is a scholarly work on an important topic” (Examiner 3)
Researching authentic learning supported by web technologies and open educational resources.
- 2014 – 2015: Skilling Up AEWs. OLT project, Murdoch University. Researching a blended professional development opportunity for Aboriginal education workers using Indigenous and design-based research approaches.
- 2010 – 2015: Authentic eDesign. EdD Thesis, Murdoch Unversity. Researching authentic online learning, communities of inquiry and online presences, free-to-share resources and web technologies using a design-based research approach.
- 2011 – 2013: Living and learning with technology. Murdoch University. Researching face-to-face and online learning using a design-based research approach.
- 2011: Workplace learning and development. Edith Cowan University. Researching blended learning using a partial design-based research approach.
- 2010 – 2013: ICT in the classroom. Murdoch University. Researching online learning using a design-based research approach.
- 2016 – WAIER Post-graduate award for EdD Thesis, August 2016, Fremantle WA.
- 2016 – AACE award outstanding paper at Edmedia: World conference on educational media and technology, 28 June 2016, Vancouver, BC.
- 2016 - School of Education Prize for Doctor of Education for best Doctor of Education dissertation in the past two years, Murdoch University.
- 2015 – Learning & Teaching Conversation best full paper award: Terras, H., Parker, J., & Herrington, J. (2015). Living and Learning with Technology: Building the ICT Capacity of Student Teachers. Murdoch University.
- 2012 – Vice Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence in the Team Teaching Category for unit EDN113. View Slideshare presentation.
- 2011 – Murdoch University 3MT Competition. 2nd Prize winner.
- 2004 – Len Vlahov Memorial Prize in Training and Development for best overall course average in the Bachelor of Arts (Training & Development) program at Edith Cowan University.
Parker, J. (2016). Design-based research for evaluating online courses. Presentation for New York University, Learning and Curricular Development seminar, 19 April 2016, Online via Webex.
Herrington, J., Parker, J. & Duvall, S. (2012). Design-based research: Research that makes a difference in education. Presentation for the Western Australian Institute for Educational Research 2012, 19 September 2012, Murdoch University, WA.
- 2012 (Sep to Nov): Volunteer at Burrendah Primary School (Year 7 class)
- 2016 – Current: Associate Editor Issues in Educational Research (IIER) journal
- 2012 – 2015: Committee member Western Australian Institute of Educational Research (WAIER)
- 2013 – 2014: Reference group member for Murdoch University’s first internal thematic review: Review of external students learning experience.
- 2012 (May to Dec): Committee member on Murdoch Open Education Working Group of Educational Technology.
I review manuscripts for the following journals:
- Issues in Educational Research (IIER)
- International review of research in open and distributed learning (IRRODL)
- Resilience in Education: Concepts, contexts and connections (Springer, 2017).
- Handbook of Research on Humanizing the Distance Learning Experience (IGI Global Publishers)
I am a member of the following special interest groups (SIG):
- Herrington, J., Parker, J., Boase-Jelinek, D., (2014), Connected authentic learning: Reflection and intentional learning, Australian Journal of Education, 58, 1, pages 23 - 35.
- Boase-Jelinek, D., Parker, J., Herrington, J., (2013), Student reflection and learning through peer reviews, Issues in Educational Research (Online), 23, 2, pages 119 - 131.
- Parker, J., Maor, D., Herrington, J., (2013), Authentic online learning: Aligning learner needs, pedagogy and technology., Issues in Educational Research (Online), 23, 2, pages 227 - 241.
- Herrington, J., Parker, J., (2013), Emerging technologies as cognitive tools for authentic learning, British Journal of Educational Technology, 44, 4, pages 607 - 615.
- Parker, J., (2016),An authentic online community of learning framework for higher education: Development process,In: EdMedia 2016: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology.
- Parker, J., (2016),EdMedia: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology, 28 - 30 June 2016, Vancouver, BC Canada,In: EdMedia 2016: World Conference on Educational Media and Technology.
- Parker, J., Herrington, J., (2015),Setting the climate in an authentic online community of learning,In: Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) 2015.
- Herrington, J., Parker, J., Boase-Jelinek, D., (2013),Social presence and participatory media in authentic learning.,In: Open and Distance Learning Association of Australia (ODLAA) 2013 Distance Education Summit.
- Parker, J., Maor, D., Herrington, J., (2013),Under the hood: How an authentic online course was designed, delivered and evaluated.,In: Teaching and Learning Forum (2013).
- Boase-Jelinek, D., Parker, J., Herrington, J., (2013),Peer reviews: What can we learn from our students?,In: Teaching and Learning Forum (2013).
- Parker, J., (2011),Practitioner practices for designing and delivering online higher education courses within a learning management system,In: 20th Annual Teaching Learning Forum (2011).
- Parker, J., Boase-Jelinek, D., Herrington, J., (2011),Perceptions and reflections: Using Skype chat to build a community of learners,In: World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education (ELEARN) (2011).
Copies of my research papers can be accessed via the Murdoch Research Repository/Parker,_Jenni.