Professor Manzurul Alam
Professor of Accounting
I am a Professor of Accounting at Murdoch University. Prior to joining Murdoch University, I was an Associate Professor and Deputy Head of the Accounting & Finance Department at Monash University.
I obtained my MBA from KU Leuven and PhD from London School of Economics. My current research interests focus on management accounting change, strategic performance measurement and governance, public and Not-for-Profit sector management accounting, and accounting issues in developing countries.
I have published in major accounting and management journals including Management Accounting Research (MAR), ABACUS, British Accounting Review (BAR), Accounting Auditing and Accountability Journal (AAAJ), Accounting & Business Research (ABR), International Journal of Public Sector Management, International Journal of Business Management, Pacific Accounting Review, and Critical Perspectives in Accounting (CPA).
I am an Associate Editor of the Journal of Accounting and Organisational Change and a member of the Editorial Boards for the International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, and the Journal of Applied Management Accounting Research (JAMAR). I am a fellow member of CPA and an associate member of CMA Australia.
BUS227 Management Accounting
BUS627 Management Accounting
BUS310 Corporate Governance & Accountability
MBS513 Accounting for Managers
My research interests are in management accounting systems and change, public sector and not-for-profit accounting issues, accounting issues in developing countries, and corporate governance. I am interested in accounting research from contextual and interdisciplinary perspectives.
Corporate governance in public and not-for-profit entities
Management control systems in inter-organisational settings
Sustainability and performance in local government organisations
Work integrated learning in accounting studies
Sustainability Reporting in Western Australian Local Government, CPA National Competitive Research Grant $12,190 (2012) (with Maria Mucciarone, David Holloway, Terri Trireksani, Jo Kestel, and Arthur Griffiths).
The Usefulness of Work Integrated Learning in Accounting Education, AFAANZ Competitive Research Grant, $4,500 (2012) (with Maria Mucciarone, David Holloway and Terri Trireksani).
Governance and Performance Management Issues in Health Sector Organisations in WA, Faculty of Law & Business Research Grant $5,000 (2009) (with John Griffiths).
Management Control Systems in Collaborative Performance: A study of Western Australian Government Departments, Faculty of Law & Business Research Grant $8,000 (2010), (with John Griffiths).
Adoption of Strategic Governance Tools in Not-for-Profit Organisations: A study of Western Australian Not-for-Profit Sector, Faculty of Law & Business Research Grant $5,200 (2010) (with Megan Paull, Anne Clear, David Holloway & John Griffith)
I am an Associate Editor of the Journal of Accounting and Organisational Change, a member of the editorial boards for the International Journal of Accounting, Auditing and Performance Evaluation, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management and the Journal of Applied Management Accounting Research (JAMAR), and a reviewer for Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal and Management Accounting Research.
I have taken an active interest in the wider community outside of the university. I maintain regular contacts with the local and national professional accounting, public sector and business associations. I have been involved with the following organisations: Accounting bodies (CPA, ICA,IPA), Heath care organisations, City councils, Disability support services and corporate bodies.
a) Thanesvary Subraamanniam: The Impact of International Accreditations on Business Schools: an Australian Study
b) Sariati Azman: The impacts of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system on management control systems in different organisational contexts: Malaysian experiences
c) Cadell Buss:Investment in renewable energy assets in Western Australia: A case study of capital financing in solar and wind energy projects.
d) Anne Clear:Advocacy & dissent: can the NFP afford to have them?
- Alam, M., (2005),Budgetary Process and Decision Making,In: Handbook of Cost and Management Accounting, Spiramus press, pages to.
- Hossain, M., Alam, M., Hecimovic, A., Hossain, M., Choudhury Lema, A., (2016), Contributing barriers to corporate social and environmental responsibility practices in a developing country: A stakeholder perspective, Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal, 7, 2, pages 319 - 346.
- Alam, M., Griffiths, A., (2016), Management control systems in inter-agency collaboration: a case study, Public Money and Management, 36, 4, pages 289 - 296.
- Hossain, M., Alamgir, M., Alam, M., (2016), The mediating role of corporate governance and corporate image on the CSR-FP link, Journal of General Management, 41, 3, .
- Hossain, M., Alam, M., (2016), Corporate social reporting (CSR) and stakeholder accountability in Bangladesh: Perceptions of less economically powerful stakeholders, International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, 24, 4, pages 415 - 442.
- Alam, M., (2015), Resource allocation and service design in local government: a case study, International Journal of Public Sector Management, 28, 1, pages 29 - 41.
- Hossain, M., Alam, M., Islam, M., Hecimovic, A., (2015), Do stakeholders or social obligations drive corporate social and environmental responsibility reporting? Managerial views from a developing country, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 12, 3, pages 287 - 314.
- Ahmed, K., Alam, M., (2012), The Effect of IFRS Adoption on the Financial Reports of Local Government Entities, Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, 6, 3, pages 109 - 120.
- Holloway, D., Alam, M., Griffiths, A., Holloway, D., (2012), Performance Management in Australia's Public Mental Health Service: A State Based Perspective, Australian Journal of Public Administration, 71, 1, pages 20 - 32.
- Alsawalqa, F., Holloway, D., Alam, M., (2011), Balanced Scorecard Implementation in Jordan: An Initial Analysis, International Journal of Electronic Business Management, 9, 3, pages 196 - 210.
- Ratnatunga, J., Alam, M., (2011), Strategic Governance and Management Accounting: Evidence From a Case Study, Abacus: a journal of accounting, finance and business studies, 47, 3, pages 343 - 382.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., (2010), Organisational change and innovation in small accounting practices: evidence from the field, Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 6, 4, pages 460 - 476.
- Alam, M., Kelly, M., (2009), Educating accounting students in the Age of Sustainability, Australasian Accounting Business & Finance Journal, 3, 4, pages 30 - 44.
- Alam, M., Lawrence, S., (2009), Resource allocation and empowerment practices: Evidence from disability support services, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 6, 4, pages 275 - 291.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., (2008), Management Control Systems and Public Sector Reform: A Fijian Case Study, Accounting, Accountability and Performance, 14, 2, pages 1 - 28.
- Alam, M., Kelly, M., (2008), Management Accounting and the Stakeholder Value Model, Journal of Applied Management Accounting Research, 6, 1, pages 75 - 86.
- Alam, M., Kelly, M., (2008), Corporate Governance and Sustainable development, Journal of Administration and Governance, 2, 3, pages -.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., (2005), Accounting and the Reproduction of Race Relations in Fiji: A Discourse on Accounting and Race in Colonial Context, Accountancy, Business and the Public Interest, , , pages -.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., (2004), Changes in Management Control Systems in a State-Owned Development Financial Institution: Some Evidences from Fiji, Research in Accounting in Emerging Economies, , , pages -.
- Alam, M., Hoque, Z., (2004), Privatisation, Management Accounting Change, and Cultural Values in a Developing Country: Case studies from Bangladesh, Research in Accounting in Emerging Economies, , , pages -.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., Lawrence, S., (2003), Accounting for economic development in the context of post-colonialism: the fiji experience, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, , , pages 1 - 23.
- Alam, M., Griffiths, A., (2012),Inter-agency relationship and management control systems,In: Global Accounting and Organisational Change Conference.
- Alam, M., (2010),Budgeting and Service Design for Local Government Services A Case Study,In: 2nd Global Accounting and Organisational Change Conference.
- Alam, M., (2007),Visibility of Cost Function in Social Care Services: A study in New Zealand Health Sector,In: European Accounting Association Congress.
- Alam, M., Nandan, R., (2007),Organisational Change and Innovation in small Accounting Practices: Evidence from the Field,In: 5th Asia Pacific Interdisciplinary Research in Accounting Conference (APIRA) (2007).
- Alam, M., Sharma, J., Nandan, R., (2006),Budgetary Allocation for affirmative action: making sense of race,In: IPA Conference.
- Alam, M., (2003),Corporate Governance and the Emerging Role of Management Accounting,In: American Accounting Association Annual Meeting.