61 (0)8 9360 7448
Senior Lecturer Arts and Drama Education
I am a Senior Lecturer in the School of Education focusing on arts and drama education. I coordinate secondary units in teaching Drama – undergraduate and postgraduate – and arts education units in the B.Ed Primary, B.Ed Early Childhood and Primary and teach the arts in the M.Teach courses.
From 2014 I am also the Academic Chair for Secondary Education in the School of Education.
I came to Murdoch University in 2002 following an extensive career in arts education with the Education Department of Western Australia where I was variously the Superintendent for the Arts with responsibility for Arts in schools K-12, Consultant for the Performing Arts K-12 and a District Manager for Curriculum. In my time as Superintendent for the Arts, I led the development of the Western Australian Student Outcome Statements for the Arts that involved extensive consultation and trialing in schools K-12 as well as professional development of teachers. I was writer for the Arts section of the Curriculum Framework [Curriculum Council of WA, 1998] and a member of the writing team for the National Statements and Profiles for the Arts [CURASS/Curriculum Corporation, 1994] with particular responsibility for Drama. From 2009-2014 I was a member of the advisory group working on the Australian Curriculum: The Arts and in 2013 a co-writer of the Drama section. I continue in 2015-2016 to be a subject mentor for drama for ACARA in the development of samples.
I have been Chair of the Drama Syllabus Committees (Curriculum Council of WA) and am was Chief Examiner for Year 12 Drama Studies [TEE] and Drama (WACE) 1999-2005/2007-2014. I was Chair of the Assessment, Review and Moderation (ARM) Panel for the Drama Course implemented as part of Post-Compulsory reform.
I was chair of the Steering Committee for establishing John Curtin College of the Arts, a selective entry gifted and talented arts college and also one of the first Independent Public Schools (IPS). I was chair of the Board 2002-2016.
I am a Past President of Drama Australia and have held various positions on the Drama Australia Executive as well as DramaWest. I have been on the editorial boards of NJ The Drama Australia Journal and New Zealand Research in New Zealand Performing Arts and Education: Nga Mahi a Rehia. I am also a member of the Advisory Board of the International Journal of Education and the Arts.
In July 2013 I was elected President of IDEA, the International Drama/Theatre and Education Association at the IDEA20013 Congress in Paris. As President of IDEA I am chair of the Presidential Forum of the World Alliance for Arts Educators (WAAE).
I was the Co-Director of the Australian Government’s National Review of School Music Education (2005) and a member of the review team for the National Review of Visual Education (2006).
My research interests focus on arts education; applied aesthetic understanding, creativity, imagination, story and play. I am currently researching making judgments about the effectiveness of arts education in schools as well the education of students with identified gifts and talents in the arts. I am a member of INRAE the International Network or Research in Arts Education and have presented widely at national and international conferences in arts and drama education (Kenya, Norway, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Canada, Turkey, France, China).
2014-2016 I led and managed the AiR (Artist in Residence) Commission at Murdoch, a project designed to bring together Teaching Artists and Primary Teacher Education students through innovative, embodied practical workshops in Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts. Teaching Artists work alongside and with me in inducting teacher education students into practice and pedagogy. The website for this project is www.aircommissionatmurdoch.org. This project is funded by the Western Australian Department of Culture and the Arts and Department of Education with funds from the Australia Council for the Arts.
- EDN371 Teaching Drama (from 2016; formerly EDN312)
- EDN471 Teaching Seniro Secondary Drama (from 2018)
- EDN412 Drama and the Curriculum (secondary) (Major) until 2017
- EDN552 Teaching Drama in Secondary Schools (New in 2015)
- EDN304 Engaging Communities through Drama (formerly EDN352 Drama and the Community)
- EDN613 Integrated Curriculum in Primary Schools (HASS/HPE/Arts) M.Teach Primary
- EDN236 Teaching the Arts in Early Childhood and Primary Schools from 2015 formerly EDN225 and EDN2251) Bachelor of Education Primary/Bachelor of Education Early Childhood and Primary
- EDN260 Learning through the Arts until 2012
- EDN227 Teaching the Arts and Health and Physical Education in Primary Schools (PostGradDipEd Primary) until 2015
- Arts Education
- Drama education
- Arts and Drama Teacher Education
- Education of gifted and talented arts students
- Arts and Drama Assessment
- Teaching Artists (Artist in Residence Commission at Murdoch University)
Artist in Residence AiR Commission at Murdoch University 2014- 2016: commission from the DCA/DOE/Australia Council to work with Teaching Artists in the five arts subjects of the Australian Curriculum: The Arts to co-teach Primary Teacher Education students in the Grad Dip Ed and BEd Primary
Dynamic Markers of Quality in Arts Education in Schools
AiR Artist in Residence Commission at Murdoch University 2014-2016
A list of my recent events and speaking engagements
- December 2015 – AARE, Fremantle: SIG Presentation The transformative challenge in teacher education: Air at Murdoch in Arts Education Performing Partnerships: Animating professional learning for arts-based education
- June 2015 – featured speaker at the Game Changer Drama Australia Conference in Sydney: ; also, Panelist for What is the ‘New Black’ in Drama Education?
- June 2015 – Singapore Drama Educator’s International Conference, Keynote Balancing, walking, running, jumping, leaping, skipping, galloping and standing still: Fundamental Movement Skills as metaphor for teaching drama; with accompanying workshops on teaching science through drama.
- April 2015 – Contemporary Drama Association, Izmir Turkey: The Hero’s Journey – 3 day process drama workshop
- World Alliance for Arts Education Summit – November 26-28, 2014 ; Keynote: Transformation scene: possible transformations in Australian arts education
- Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock, October: November 2014. The Wolves in the Walls, Process Drama Workshop; Einladung zum Fortbildungstag! im Rahmen der Schultheatertage Rostock 2014
- Hong Kong Institute of Education, INRAE International Network for Research in Arts Education, May 5, 2014 : the conundrum of arts education implementation
- UNESCO Arts in Education Observatory for Research in Local Cultures and creativity in Education, the Hong Kong Institute for Education, Asia-Pacific Drama education Conference 2014, May 2-3, 2014: Keynote Address: “Curriculum Development: Universals and Local Challenges.”
- Contemporary Drama Association, Turkey, University of Mugla, April 25 2014: Keynote: drama education across borders; workshops on Drama as art form, Drama and Literature, Drama and Science, Drama and History and Society
- ARTEN Asia Regional Theatre Education Network, Guhwhati India November 25 2013: Keynote: The challenges of writing a national drama curriculum and its implementation
President, IDEA International Drama, Theatre and Education Association 2013-2016
Chair, John Curtin College of the Arts Council (2002>2016); also, Chait of Sterring Committee for establishing JCCA 1999
Schools Curriculum and Standards Authority (SCSA; formerly Curriculum Council of Western Australia): Drama Curriculum Advisory Committee; Chief Examiner Drama 1999-2005/2207>2014.
Equity Guild Awards, Equity Benevolent Guild of WA, Judge 2011-2013
ACARA Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority Arts Advisory Committee 2009>2014; drama subject mentor 2015-2016
Related professional activities
International Arts Education Activities
Singapore Drama Educators Association International Conference, June 2015
Drama Australia Game Changer Conference, June 2015
Çağdaş Drama Derneği (Contemporary Drama Association – CDA), Conference, Izmir Tirkey April 2015
Hong Kong Institute of Education, INRAE International Network for Research in Arts Education, May 5, 2014 : the conundrum of arts education implementation
UNESCO Arts in Education Observatory for Research in Local Cultures and creativity in Education, the Hong Kong Institute for Education, Asia-Pacific Drama education Conference 2014, May 2-3, 2014: Keynote Address: “Curriculum Development: Universals and Local Challenges.”
Contemporary Drama Association, Turkey, University of Mugla, April 25 2014: Keynote: drama education across borders; workshops on Drama as art form, Drama and Literature, Drama and Science, Drama and History and Society
ARTEN Asia Regional Theatre Education Network, Guhwhati India November 25 2013: Keynote: The challenges of writing a national drama curriculum and its implementation
- “Monitoring the impact of the Seoul agenda” at the International Polylogue on Arts Education, Hong Kong Institute of Education, China SAR
- International Monitoring and Comparative Research in Arts Education – reporting for UNESCO, Wildbad Kreuth, Germany
- IDEA Seventh World Congress on Drama/Theatre and Education, Belém, Brasil
- World Creativity Summit, Newcastle, UK
- World Creativity Summit, Hong Kong SAR China; IDEA International Drama/Theatre and Education 6th World Congress of Drama/Theatre and Education Hong Kong
- Asian Cities Planting IDEAs Conferences – Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taiwan (Shanghai International Drama/Theatre and Education Forum; Taiwan Educational Drama Theatre International Congress, Hong Kong Drama/Theatre and Education Forum TEFO)
- Winter Arts Conference, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ February
- Australia Council’s International Research on Arts and Education Network
- UNESCO Regional Meeting of Arts Education Experts, Hong Kong SAR China, January
- UNESCO Regional Meeting of Arts Education Experts, Nadi, Fiji, November
Arts organizations activities
2004-06 Chair, Western Australian Youth Theatre Company
2002-2007 Board member of Black Swan Theatre Company; chair of BSX Black Swan Youth Theatre initiative
1999-present Organising committee for Performing Arts Perspectives – showcase of outstanding TEE Performing Arts students
1990-2005 Steps Youth Dance Company Board member [Steps was an initiative of the Performing Arts Services Centre which I coordinated 1988-1990]
1999-2000 Youth Arts Incorporated - dramaturge and production team
1999-2003 WAYTCo – Western Australian Youth Theatre Company board member and Deputy Chair
1997 Arts and Young People Working Party [Ministry of Culture and the Arts/ARTSWA]
1998 Faculty Advisory Committee, Arts and Drama Education, Edith Cowan University
Doctoral Students (with Dr Peter Wright)
- Christina Grey: A narrative inquiry into the practicum experiences of pre-service drama teachers – completed 2016
- Kirsten Lambert: “Which character would you like to play girls? The Madonna or the whore?” An exploration of power and performativity in Western Australian drama classrooms. (Also with Dr Jan Currie)
- Sian Chapman: Understanding, Interpreting and Enacting Arts Curriculum. The experiences of classroom teachers and Arts specialist teachers in Western Australian government primary schools.
Masters (with Dr Peter Wright)
- Matthew Aris: Experiences of Partnerships between Performing Arts Education and Performing Arts Industry during the staging of a High School Musical
With Dr Jenny De Reuck, School of Arts:
- Salmiyah Fiedorowicz: embodied learning
- Andrew Koksis: Revising the performative and didactic possibilities of Shakespeare’s plays and language through adaptation
- Pascoe, R., (2015),Teaching Artists - Artistic Teachers: Working with Teaching Artists and Teacher Educations Students in the AiR (Artist in Residence) Commission at Murdoch University,In: International Yearbook for Research in Arts Education: The Wisdom of the Many - Key Issues in Arts Education, Waxmann Verlag GmbH, pages 383 to 389.
- Pascoe, R., (2014),Arts Assessment: A Need for Critical Engagement,In: International Yearbook for Research in ARTS EDUCATION Volume 2, Waxmann Verlag Gmbh, pages 101 to 106.
- Pascoe, R., (2013),Dynamic Markers for Arts Education in Schools,In: International Yearbook for Research in Arts Education, Waxmann Verlag Gmbh, pages 47 to 62.
- Pascoe, R., (2006),Finding Common Ground: Drama, Theatre, and Assessment,In: Universal Mosiac of Drama and Theatre: The IDEA 2004 Dialogues, IDEA Publications, pages 85 to 98.
- Chapman, S., Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2016), Arts curriculum implementation: Adopt and adapt as policy translation, Arts Education Policy Review, DOI: 10.1080/10632913.2016.1201031, published online, pages -.
- Lambert, K., Wright, P., Currie, J., Pascoe, R., (2016), Performativity and creativity in senior secondary drama classrooms, NJ: The Journal of Drama Australia, DOI: 10.1080/14452294.2016.1189868, , pages -.
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2015), Eudaimonia and creativity: the art of human flourishing, Cambridge Journal of Education, 45, 3, pages 295 - 306.
- Lambert, K., Wright, P., Currie, J., Pascoe, R., (2015), Data-Driven Performativity: Neoliberalism's Impact on Drama Education in Western Australian Secondary Schools, Review of Education - Pedagogy - Cultural Studies, 37, 5, pages 460 - 475.
- Lambert, K., Wright, P., Currie, J., Pascoe, R., (2015), Desiring machines and nomad spaces: neoliberalism, performativity and becoming in senior secondary drama classrooms, Discourse (Abingdon): studies in the cultural politics of education, doi.org/10.1080/01596306.2015.1074429, , pages -.
- Pascoe, R., Sallis, R., (2012), Perspectives on Drama Teacher Education in Australia, Asia-Pacific Journal for Arts Education, 11, 6, pages 126 - 158.
- Pascoe, R., (2009), Framing a National Curriculum in Drama: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants, NJ: The Journal of Drama Australia, 33, 1, pages 53 - 78.
- Dinham, J., Grushka, K., MacCallum, J., Pascoe, R., Wright, P., Brown, N., (2007), Visual Education - Repositioning Visual Arts and Design: Education for Expression and Participation in an Increasingly Visually-Mediated World, The International Journal of Learning, 14, 6, pages 77 - 85.
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2004), Nurturing generational change in arts education: A West Australian experience, Change. Transformations in Education, 7, , pages 105 - 119.
- Pascoe, R., (2004), UNESCO Meeting of Arts Education Experts in the Pacific, NJ: The Journal of Drama Australia, 28, , pages 119 - 120.
- Pascoe, R., (2003), Drama Australia Drama Teacher Education Symposium, NJ: The Journal of Drama Australia, 27, , pages 81 - 85.
- Herrington, J., McKenzie, S., Pascoe, R., Woods-McConney, A., MacCallum, J., Wright, P., (2010),A whole-school approach to technological literacy: Mobile learning and the iPhone,In: Global Learn Asia Pacific (Global Learn) (2010).
- Pascoe, R., (2009),Drama - a curriculum for creativity, transformation and learning,In: International Conference of Drama in Education and Applied Theatre (2009).
- Pascoe, R., (2008),Provocations about Arts Education Research,In: 2nd World Creativity Summit (2008).
- Pascoe, R., (2008),Research in Arts Education: Towards making judgements about the effectiveness of arts education in schools,In: Canadian Arts and Learning Symposium (2008).
- Pascoe, R., (2008),Sharing the Blank Page: if there's going to be a National Drama Curriculum, what might it look like?,In: Drama Australia National Conference (2008).
- Pascoe, R., Wright, P., MacCallum, J., Dinham, J., Grushka, K., (2007),Visual Education as an emergent methodology: boon or bane?,In: 3rd Dialogues and Differences in Arts Education Conference (2007).
- Dinham, J., Wright, P., Pascoe, R., MacCallum, J., Grushka, K., (2007),Proving or Improving Visual Education: Implications for Teacher Education,In: Association for Active Educational Researchers (AARE) International Educational Research Conference (2007).
- Grushka, K., MacCallum, J., Dinham, J., Pascoe, R., Wright, P., (2007),Re-designing education in the visual: Re-positioning visual arts education for an increasingly visual world,In: Redesigning Pedagogy Conference (2007).
- MacCallum, J., Grushka, K., Pascoe, R., Wright, P., Dinham, J., (2007),Creating Potential for Learning Through the Visual,In: 11th European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction (EARLI) Biennial Conference (2005).
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2007),Applied Aesthetic Understanding: How arts teacher education experience in one Australian University is felt, described and understood,In: 6th World Congress for International Drama/Theatre and Education Association (IDEA) (2007).
- Dinham, J., Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2006),Reviewing Australian arts education to meet emerging needs,In: 1st World Conference on Arts Education (2006).
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2006),Reporting on two national Arts Education Reviews,In: National Education and the Arts (ARTS) Symposium (2005).
- Pascoe, R., (2006),Choosing the Wave,In: Drama Australia Conference (2006).
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2005),Nurturing Arts Literate Teachers,In: 3rd Winter Conference on Arts Education (2005).
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2005),Arts Literate Teachers Emerging: (Re)Cognising Pre-service Arts Education,In: National Education and the Arts (ARTS) Symposium (2005).
- Wright, P., Pascoe, R., (2004),Nurturing generational change in arts education or toiling, tiling, fertilising, pruning and gardening in the Elysian Fields.,In: Dialogues and Differences in Arts Education Symposium (2004).
Drama and Theatre: Key Terms and Concepts (3rd Edition), 2014, co-authored with Hannah Pascoe, StagePage. Perth.