Dr Sebastian Zander
PhD; Dipl.-Ing. (Technical Informatics)
I am a Lecturer in the School of Engineering and Information Technology and an Adjunct Research Fellow at Swinburne University. Previously, I was a Research Fellow and Lecturer at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne.
I teach students (first semester to third semester) and conduct research in the areas of network measurement / network data analysis (data mining), IPv4 to IPv6 transition, machine learning network traffic classification, network security (with a focus on covert channels) and transport mechanisms (TCP performance, AQMs).
I’m looking for Master/PhD students. Please contact me, if you are interested in one of the research topics I’m currently working on.
I currently teach:
- ICT169 – Foundations of Data Communications
- ICT546 – Local Area Network Design and Implementation
These undergraduate and postgraduate units aims to give an understanding of data communications principles and protocols. It covers the different layers of the network stack according to the ISO OSI model, different network technologies (e.g. wireless, Ethernet), IPv6/NAT, routing and Internet security. It also introduces students to data communication devices, their roles and basic configuration.
- ICT287 – Computer Security
- ICT623 – Networking Group Project
My research covers various topics in the area of computer networks. My research is mainly applied and experimental research. Currently, I am working on the following topics:
- Covert Channels (Network Steganography)
- Countermeasures against covert channels
- New types of covert channels
- Transport protocol performance
- TCP performance measurements and improvements
- Active Queuing Mechanisms (AQM)
- Network traffic classification using Machine Learning
- Network Security
- IPv4 to IPv6 transition
- Multiplayer network game traffic characterization
- Network Quality of Service measurement techniques
- Authentication, Authorization & Accounting systems and architectures
- Security and AAA for the Internet of Things (IoT)
“Automated Application Quality of Service Using Software Defined Networks”, Murdoch University School of Engineering and IT Research Startup Grant ($20,000).The project’s aim is to build and evaluate a unified, practical solution for automated application Quality of Service (QoS) based on software defined networks (SDNs).
“Adding Covert Channel Detection to an Open Source Intrusion Detection System (IDS)”, Comcast Tech Fund Open Source Grant (US$50,000=AU$65,500). The project will develop practical mechanisms for the detection of covert channels, integrate the mechanisms into an open source IDS tool and evaluate the efficiency of the implemented solution. I’m currently looking to hire a Research Associate for this project.
“Surveying the State of IPv6 Deployment in Australia and China”, APNIC Internet Operations Research Grant managed by ISIF Asia ($25,000). The project will investigate the state of deployment of IPv6, the Internet’s next generation core protocol, in organisations in Australia and China.
- S. Zander, “My Journey in Computer Science”, ConocoPhillips Science Experience Dec 2016.
- Interview with ABC news regarding the Jim’s group cyber attacks, Nov 2016, http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-23/jim’s-group-customers-targeted-by-internet-scam/8051198
I am a member of the program committee of the following conferences/workshops:
- Local Computer Networks (LCN)
- Workshop on Network Measurements (WNM)
- International Workshop on Cyber Crime (IWCC)
- Interactive Entertainment (IE)
I regularly review papers for several IEEE and ACM journals, such as IEEE Transactions of Networking, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Elsevier Computer Networks, ACM Sigcomm CCR.
I’m the Treasurer of the IEEE Western Australia Section (2016).
- Kevin Ong (PhD), Topic: TCP Congestion Control
- Eliza Singh (RMT), Topic: Network Security
I’m looking for Master/PhD students. Please contact me, if you are interested in one of the research topics I’m currently working on.
- Mazurczyk, W., Wendzel, S., Zander, S., Houmansadr, A., Szczpiorski, K., (2016),Information Hiding in Communication Networks: Fundamentals, Mechanisms, Applications, and Countermeasures,John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Wendzel, S., Mazurczyk, W., Zander, S., (2016), Unified Description for Network Information Hiding Methods, Journal of Universal Computer Science, 22, 11, .
- Zander, S., Andrew, L., Armitage, G., (2014),Capturing Ghosts: Predicting the Used IPv4 Space by Inferring Unobserved Addresses,In: Internet Measurement Conference.
Publications prior to Murdoch
- S. Wendzel, S. Zander, B. Fechner, C. Herdin, “ A Pattern-based Survey and Categorization of Network Covert Channel Techniques”, ACM Computing Surveys, volume 47, issue 3, 2015. (arXiv version)
- T. T. T. Nguyen, G. Armitage, P. Branch, S. Zander, “ Timely and Continuous Machine-Learning-Based Classification for Interactive IP Traffic“, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, volume 20, issue 6, pages 1880-1894, December 2012.
- S. Zander, L. L. H. Andrew, G. Armitage, G. Huston, G. Michaelson, “ Investigating the IPv6 Teredo Tunnelling Capability and Performance of Internet Clients“, SIGCOMM CCR, volume 42, issue 5, pages 13–20, October 2012.
- S. Zander, P. Branch, G. Armitage, “Capacity of Temperature-based Covert Channels“, IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 82-84, January 2011.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, “Covert Channels and Countermeasures in Computer Network Protocols“, (invited) IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45, no. 12, pp. 136-142, December 2007.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, “A Survey of Covert Channels and Countermeasures in Computer Network Protocols“, IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 44-57, October 2007.
- N. Williams, S. Zander, G. Armitage, “A Preliminary Performance Comparison of Five Machine Learning Algorithms for Practical IP Traffic Flow Classification“, SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, Volume 36, October 2006.
- J. Jähnert, J. Zhou, R. L. Aguiar, V. Marques, M. Wetterwald, E. Melin, J. I. Moreno, A. Cuevas, M. Liebsch, R. Schmitz, P. Pacyna, T. Melia, P. Kurtansky, Hasan, D. Singh, S. Zander, H. J. Einsiedler, B. Stiller, “The ‘pure-IP’ Moby Dick 4G architecture“, Computer Communications 28(9), pp. 1014-1027, Elsevier, June 2005.
- J. Tiemann, S. Zander, M. Jonas, “Gigamedia – Film + Video im Netz“, DFN Journal, Heft 54, November 2000.
Internationally Reviewed Conference Papers
- S. Zander, L. L. H. Andrew, G. Armitage, “ Capturing Ghosts: Predicting the Used IPv4 Space by Inferring Unobserved Addresses”, Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Vancouver, Canada, November 2014.
- S. Zander, L. L. H. Andrew, G. Armitage, G. Huston, “ Estimating IPv4 Address Space Usage with Capture-Recapture“, 7th IEEE Workshop on Network Measurements in conjunction with the 38th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Sydney, Australia, October 2013.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, “ Minimally-Intrusive Frequent Round Trip Time Measurements Using Synthetic Packet-Pairs”, (short paper) 38th IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Sydney, Australia, October 2013.
- S. Zander, L. L. H. Andrew, G. Armitage, “ Estimating the Used IPv4 Address Space with Secure Multi-Party Capture-recapture“, (poster) IEEE INFOCOM, Turin, Italy, April 2013.
- S. Zander, L. L. H. Andrew, G. Armitage, G. Huston, G. Michaelson, “ Mitigating Sampling Error when Measuring Internet Client IPv6 Capabilities“, Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Boston, USA, November 2012. (best paper candidate)
- S. Zander, T. T. T. Nguyen, G. Armitage, “ Sub-flow Packet Sampling for Scalable ML Classification of Interactive Traffic“, 37th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Clearwater, Florida, USA, October 2012.
- S. Wendzel, S. Zander, “ Detecting Protocol Switching Covert Channels“, (poster) 37th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Clearwater, Florida, USA, October 2012.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, “Practical Machine Learning Based Multimedia Traffic Classification for Distributed QoS Management“, 36th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Bonn, Germany, October 2011.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, “Stealthier Inter-packet Timing Covert Channels“, IFIP Networking, Valencia, Spain, 9-13 May 2011.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, “Reliable Transmission Over Covert Channels in First Person Shooter Multiplayer Games“, 34th Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Zurich, Switzerland, 20-23 October 2009.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, “Covert Channels in Multiplayer First Person Shooter Online Games“, 33rd Annual IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN), Montreal, Canada, 14-17 October 2008.
- S. Zander, S. Murdoch, “An Improved Clock-skew Measurement Technique for Revealing Hidden Services“, 17th Usenix Security Symposium, San Jose, USA, July/August 2008.
- S. Zander, G.Armitage, P.Branch, “An Empirical Evaluation of IP Time To Live Covert Channels“, 15th IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON2007), Adelaide, Australia, 19-21 November 2007.
- S. Zander, P.Branch, G.Armitage, “Error Probability Analysis of IP Time To Live Covert Channels“, IEEE 7th International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies (ISCIT 2007), Sydney, Australia, October 16-19, 2007.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, P. Branch, ”Covert Channels in the IP Time To Live Field“, Australian Telecommunication Networks and Application Conference (ATNAC 2006), Melbourne, Australia, 4-6 December 2006.
- G. Armitage, C. Javier, S. Zander, ”Topological Optimisation for Online First Person Shooter Game Server Discovery“, (poster) Australian Telecommunication Networks and Application Conference (ATNAC 2006), Melbourne, Australia, 4-6 December 2006.
- J. But, N. Williams, S. Zander, L. Stewart, G. Armitage, “ANGEL – Automated Network Games Enhancement Layer”, NetGames 2006, Singapore, November 2006.
- G. Armitage, C. Javier, S. Zander, ”Post-game Estimation of Game Client RTT and Hop Count Distributions”, (poster) NetGames 2006, Singapore, November 2006.
- S. Zander, N. Williams, G. Armitage, “Internet Archeology: Estimating Individual Application Trends in Incomplete Historic Traffic Traces“, (poster) Passive and Active Measurement Workshop (PAM 2006), Adelaide, Australia, March 30 – 31, 2006.
- L. Stewart, G. Armitage, P. Branch, S. Zander, “An Architecture for Automated Network Control of QoS over Consumer Broadband Links”, (poster) IEEE Tencon 2005, Melbourne, Australia, 21-24 November 2005.
- S. Zander, T.T.T. Nguyen, G. Armitage, “Automated Traffic Classification and Application Identification using Machine Learning“, Proc. IEEE 30th Conference on Local Computer Networks (LCN 2005), Sydney, Australia, 15-17 November 2005.
- S. Zander, D. Kennedy, G. Armitage, “Dissecting Server-Discovery Traffic Patterns Generated By Multiplayer First Person Shooter Games“, NetGames 2005, New York, USA, 10-11 October 2005.
- S.Zander, I.Leeder, G.Armitage, “Achieving Fairness in Multiplayer Network Games through Automated Latency Balancing“, ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology (ACE 2005), Valencia, Spain, June 2005.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, “A Traffic Model for the XBOX Game Halo 2“, 15th ACM International Workshop on Network and Operating System Support for DIgital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV 2005), Washington (USA), June 2005.
- S. Zander, T. Nguyen, G. Armitage, “Self-learning IP Traffic Classification based on Statistical Flow Characteristics“, (poster) Passive Active Measurement Workshop (PAM 2005), Boston, USA, March/April 2005.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, “Empirically Measuring the QoS Sensitivity of Interactive Online Game Players“, Australian Telecommunications Networks & Applications Conference 2004 (ATNAC 2004), Sydney, Australia December 8-10 2004.
- P. Kurtansky, Hasan, D. Singh, S. Zander, A. Cuevas, J. Jähnert, J. Zhou, B. Stiller, “Extensions of AAA for Future IP Networks“, IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC 2004), Atlanta, USA, March 2004.
- S. Zander, G. Armitage, C. Malcolm, “Dynamics and Cachability of Web Sites: Implications for Inverted Capacity Networks“, IEEE International Conference on Networks (ICON 2003), Sydney, Australia, September/October 2003.
- S. Zander, G. Carle, “High Quality IP Video Streaming with Adaptive Packet Marking“, International Workshop on Quality of Future Internet Services (Qofis) 2002, Zürich, Switzerland, October 2002.
- Hasan, D. Singh, S. Zander, M. Kuhlbach, J. Jaehnert, B. Stiller, “The Design of an Extended AAAC Architecture“, IST Mobile & Wireless Telecommunications Summit 2002, Thessaloniki, Greece, June 2002.
- J. Quittek, T. Zseby, G. Carle, S. Zander, “Traffic Flow Measurements within IP Networks: Requirements, Technologies, and Standardization“, IEEE SAINT Symposium on Applications and the Internet Workshops (SAINT 2002 Workshops), Nara City, Nara, Japan, January/February, 2002.
- G. Carle, H. Sanneck, S. Zander, L. Le, “Deploying an Active Voice Application on a Three-Level Active Network Node Architecture“, International Working Conference On Active Networks (IWAN 2001), Philadelphia, USA, September/October 2001.
- M. Berg, C. Huck, R. Schaefer, J. Tiemann, S. Zander, “Kooperative Postproduktion von Film und Video in High-Speed Netzwerken”, ITG/FKTG-Fachtagung Elektronische Medien: Technologien, Systeme, Anwendungen, Dortmund, Germany, September 2001.
- Hasan, J. Jähnert, S. Zander, B. Stiller, “Authentication, Authorization, Accounting and Charging for the Mobile Internet“, IST Mobile Communications Summit, Barcelona, Spain, September 2001.
- T. Zseby, S. Zander, G. Carle, “Evaluation of Building Blocks for Passive One-way-delay Measurements“, (poster) Passive Active Measurement Workshop (PAM 2001), Amsterdam, Netherlands, April 2001.
- G. Carle, S. Zander, T. Zseby, “Policy-basiertes Metering für IP Netze“, Kommunikation in Verteilten Systemen (KiVS), Hamburg, Germany, February 2001.